XP Home Won't Boot On Fijitsu Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Houseofcyn

Please Help!

I have a Fijitsu Laptop Lifebook C, and XP home edition will not boot.

It hangs on startup and then goes through the System check, and finds no errors, and then just repeats this process.

I have replaced the ntldr and ntdetect.com files with fresh files, as this has worked previously with other xp systems, but this time this does not work.

When trying to boot into safemode the system hangs on the Mup.sys file.

I have also replaced Mup.sys file with a file from a different computer and this also hasn't worked.

I am now at a loss now as to what to do next.

Any help will be most greatly appreciated.

You also posted on how to replace the HD in this laptop. I assume these problems are related?
After you replace the HD, see if the problem still exists, then post back.

The other message was how to remove the hard drive. This is if it can't be repaired. I would much rather repair it.

Read the Sticky just above this post:
HOW TO: Repair Windows XP/2000 if you are unable to boot into Windows.

You may need to do the repair with Fixboot as described there.

There was a corrupted registry error
systemroot/system32/config/software

I did a repair\software and after that the screen goes black on startup.

I wanted to install xp pro in a different directory but the laptop doesn't recognize the cd rom.

I tried a registry repair\system and the screen still stayed black on starup.

I tried to enter the repair console again and now it won't let me do that. It says the password is invalid even though there was no original password so it was blank.

Check your CD out on another PC if it is OK. Then check your BIOS, to make it start from CD. Reboot and reinstall from scratch.

Alternatively, screw Windows XP and get a (selfbooting) CD with Windows 2000 Pro. Format the whole HD in NTFS, to erase XP and install W2k + W2K's SP4.

You will have no more sleepless nights.

As explained in the afore-mentioned "Sticky" do a Repair by Installing over your existing XP. This will keep all your settings, but you will have to reapply SP1 and SP2

The laptop won't boot from the cd or read from it at all. This is an XP Pro cd. The laptop has XP home installed on it, but the XP home cd can't be located. It's my son-in-law's laptop, so he is the one that lost his original cd AND the manual.
The laptop is Fujitsu Lifebook C Series, (Not Lifebook C as I mentioned earlier) He has been trying to figure out how to remove the hard drive so we can copy his data onto my computer to save his precious data and then do a fresh install (hopefully that will work), but I can't locate the manual on fujitsu-siemens.com or anywhere else. Anyone know where I can find the manual for this or how to remove the hard drive?

Originally posted by Houseofcyn
This is an XP Pro cd. The laptop has XP home installed on it, but the XP home cd can't be located.

The fact that the laptop has XP home shouldn't keep it from booting on the XP Pro CD. Is it a real XP Pro install CD or one to set your system back to factory settings ?

Does the laptop have a floppy drive which it can boot on ?

If yes, download the Win98SE BootDisk, create a bootable floppy with it & boot on it, make sure to select CD-Rom support.

Then insert your XP CD, change the current working location to the CD-Rom, enter the i386 folder & launch winnt.
Code:
d:
cd i386
winnt

Ok. He does have his xp home recovery disk, which we couldn't get the laptop to recognize before. Would this method work with it too? He managed to get the hard drive out successfully and the data is still there and he is copying his data to another computer.

A recovery disk resets the laptop to its original state when you first got it. This means you will lose all other programs, data and updates/patches.
A fresh install of a full regular XP might be more desirable.

Make sure you have all the laptop-specific drivers though, before you consider this!

realblackstuff said:
Alternatively, screw Windows XP and get a (selfbooting) CD with Windows 2000 Pro. Format the whole HD in NTFS, to erase XP and install W2k + W2K's SP4.

You will have no more sleepless nights.

Now this is the kindof fix that appeals to me! Thanks! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back