XP Home / XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I'm trying to transfer some pictures from a corrupted xp pro hd onto an xp home drive. I have the old hd set as master and the corrupted one as slave.
The pc is not seeing the corrupted drive. Have tried all different jumper settings, reset Bios and still the corrupted drive does not show.This is now obviously a non-bootable hd as it stands.I know that xp home won't start xp pro and vice versa
I don't know if this may be the reason tho. My pc crashed the other night and then just locked out completely. I turned it off and restarted and got the message about C:\Windows\System\Config\System was either corrupted or missing. Have tried various suggestions like copying files from another pc so that I could make a floppy and get in that way. Nothing.Tried recovery disk, nothing. Couldn't get into safe mode. Couldn't control/alt/ delete to restart.
Can't think of anything else I could do except ask someone else rather than myself!
All suggestions will be gratefully accepted

Hi vegasgmc
Thanks for your reply. Guess that sorts that Fat32 /NTFS problem out.
So with the corrupted hdd, I've found loads of ideas that people have suggested, but no-one has been able to provide me with the answer as to how to get into the corrupted drive . It was during a game that I was playing and crashed during debug mode 3 times. Could this be the culprit?
I don't know, I cant open the hdd!

Guess I should have been more clear. If your XP Home installation was formatted in FAT32 instead of NTFS then thats why you cant see any data on the XP Pro drive. Most XP Pri installations are NTFS.
If the drive isnt even showing up in the BIOS then the drive is damaged and the only way I know to get the data is to send it to a data recovery service($300-$5000 charge).
Did you try manually detecting the hard drive in the BIOS?

Sorry, I messed up. :eek: Forgot to mention the 3rd hdd which has xp home NTFS.

So, would the xp home NTFS show up the xp pro NTFS drive, or vice versa and if it does then would I have any problems taking files from one to the other, like docs and stuff?? :blush:

If you can boot into the XP Home installation that is NTFS it can read NTFS and FAT32 partitions. You should be able to copy data from the XP Pro partiotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back