TechSpot

Xp Installation Problems

By d64
Jul 6, 2005
  1. Hey,
    Having a huge problem installing windows xp. I recently bought a new pc and am trying to install windows but setup wont let me copy important files thus i cant install windows. I get a msg saying "Cannot copy filename.dll or filename.exe", it gives me an option of skipping the files but setup doesnt complete properly. I changed the ram, hd and dvd rom drive and also trie a few different xp cds but still get same problem. What is the problem here and what can i do to fix.

Any help appreciated thx.

2. Vigilante

Vigilante TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,666

Everytime I get errors like that it comes down to changing CD-ROM or disk. But if you've done both of those then I'm not sure.
    I also just retry a bunch of times, it works sometimes.

Try it with just ONE CD-ROM drive and your ONE hard drive. If you haven't already.

3. d64

d64 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thx for reply Vigilante,
    I do only hve one dvd-rom and one hd, ive changed cds, ram, hd and dvd-rom so i really dont know what the prob is.

4. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

Have you checked your IDE ribbons? Try replacing them, or simply removing, then reconnecting them.

BTW
    :wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

5. Desthro

Desthro TS Rookie

You might try reconnecting all of your ribbons and ensuring that the CD is free of scratches, abrasions and other horrific and otherwise bad imperfections on your CD. A skip doc might help, (they're really awesome!). Also, instead of using a DVD drive, which can read CD-Roms, try using a CD-ROM drive only. That could be the problem right there.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.