TechSpot

XP is allowing anyone to change login password

By rowlanz
Jul 3, 2008
  1. I am using XP Pro. I am listed in "User Accounts" as the 'Computer Administrator' with 'password protected'. Every 15th day, a window automatically comes on screen and asks me if I want to update my login password. If I choose yes, then all I have to do is type in a new password and the login password is changed. So, when I am out of town, anyone here at my place could type in a new password and I'd be locked out if they forgot the new pw.
    Is there any way I can stop XP from automatically asking me to update my login pw?

2. bobm

bobm TS Rookie Posts: 39

had you already logged in, before asked to update password

3. rowlanz

rowlanz TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hi Bobm,
    No, it doesn't happen if I am already logged in. The "update login password" window only comes onto the screen after I try to login.

4. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,373   +167

These (and many other XP options) are controlled by "policies" which may be set on a local or more general level (e.g. group or computer).

To review local policies you first create a Management console for managing these policies
    • Click Start -> Run. Type mmc and press enter
    • A window with Console Root highlighted opens. Click File-> Add/Remove Snap-in
    • Click Add, scroll to and Group Policy Object Editor. Click Add.Then Finish then Close then OK to close all the selection windows.
    • Now expand Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Account Policies\ Password policy and review/modify individual policies
    • When done do File/Save As and assign it a name. You can after find this console listed among your Administartive Tools

/***** Edit *****/
    You may also try downloading and trying FreshUI which can give you a single, simple user inteface to many of these policies

5. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Also:
    Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Local Policies\Security Options
    and review/modify "Interactive logon: Prompt user to change password before expiration"

6. rowlanz

Excellent!
    Thank you LookinAround and kimsland.

7. batteryland

batteryland TS Rookie

LookinAround explain so excellent

8. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

9. rowlanz

Several helpful solutions that I didn't know about until your posts,
    Thanks again!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.