XP Key help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magniitude

After installing SP2 on my computer, it kept getting to the BsoD and wont boot up even in safe mode so i attempted to repair Xp using the recovery console and repaired it all the way up the the part where you have to enter your Key. My windows came preinstalled with my computer so i dont have an original disk, but we have a slipstreamed disk of XP home edition (which i have installed) with SP2. I have the cd-key on the back of my computer but everytime i entered it it says that my key is invalid. Ive entered the right key ive quadruple checked, but i dont know whats wrong. Any ideas?

Do you have to be able to boot into windows to do this? I cant boot into windows at all and im still at the key enter page and im afraid to reboot and lose all the repairs.

It was probably a WinXP Pro installation before you used that disc - and I assume it's probably a Pro CD Key as well that you have. Don't know that those two have interchangable keys. I doubt it though.

The sticker-key is a proper XP-Home key, and the pre-loaded XP is almost certainly an OEM-version. Those keys are not interchangeable.
That stickerkey WILL work when you would install from scratch.
Look on the internet if there is a program that lets you retrieve a key from XP even if you can't start XP.

You can not use an OEM key with a retail CD. You can change the contents of a file on a retail Windows CD and then re-burn it making it think it is an OEM CD.

Or just download XP Home OEM off your favourite p2p network - you have the license sticker therefore you are entitled to a copy of XP Home OEM no matter how you obtain it. Also, if the representative of the company who made/sold your PC is in a good mood then they will supply you with a brand new XP Home OEM CD if you beg them.

Well thanks for the help guys i guess the only option i really have is a reformat considering that there is basically some games and photoshop files on it that are most important thats all. And i will never install SP2 again!

You should install SP2 after your clean install of your OS. It's actually a very good and necessary update. In fact, if you going to try to obtain another XP CD I'd suggest you get one that already has SP2 slipstreamed.

^ I was using an XP cd with SP2 Streamlined but this is not the first time i have tried to install XP2 the same problem occurs everytime.

What IS your PC? Is it Dell or HP or something?
I know that on most Dell's, not only is the Product Key a Dell OEM key, but you have to install from a Dell XP CD as well. I've run across this a few times. It would not accept the keycode from my regular XP disk until I reloaded with the Dell CD instead.

You can backup your data to another PC before formatting if you need your data.

So just try to get that OEM XP. If you need a Dell version, I may be able to help.

Lastly, there are a small handfull of PCs out there that really just can't run SP2 for whatever reason, I run across them sometimes, new OS or not. But always try SP2 at least once on a fresh load.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back