XP: Keyboard and mouse won't work after startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help!! I was running several applications and my computer seemed to crash--the screen went blank and I got no response from the mouse or keyboard. When I pushed the power button, the screen came on & windows shut down normally. Upon restart, neither the keyboard or mouse would work after windows started. I turned it off and restarted again, going into BIOS and the keyboard worked fine. Upon exiting and continuing startup, again no response from mouse or keyboard. Possible contributing factor: about half an hour before the mouse/keyboard problem started, I got a huge static shock when I touched my mouse. But then I used the mouse with no problem for ~30 min. ?? Any ideas? BTW I'm running XP Home on a Compaq Presario.

Is that a Compaq Presario notebook or desktop (why they made both with the same name is very confusing)

Is the keyboard and mouse USB ? If so have you tried plugging in a USB flash drive (or something) to see if the USB on the computer works?

The other option would be to go into Safe mode (repeatively press F8 on system startup)

Clarification

It's a desktop, and neither the keyboard or mouse are USB. I tried going into Safe Mode, but once the computer starts to boot, it doesn't get any input from the keyboard (I can get into BIOS, but nothing beyond that). I tried going to System Recovery, but again I get no input from the keyboard or mouse. Similarly, I can't check to see if the USB ports are working because when I get to the Windows login screen I can't login (nothing from mouse or keyboard) so I can't get to my desktop where I would be able to see if my flash drive is recognized...Very frustrating.

Actually if you press F8 repeatively before Windows starts it should work, especially if it allows the key to get to bios.

The only other option is to put your Windows disc in and Repair Windows
(Note repairing Windows will require your product key again)

" half an hour before the mouse/keyboard problem started, I got a huge static shock when I touched my mouse."

Sounds like there's a short circuit somewhere. Although static shocks are uncomfortable, if you got a "huge"" one, it could signal an electrical problem.

Problem solved!!

Thanks to all for suggestions!! Apparently it was the shock--looks like it burned out the PS/2 port, as the new wireless USB mouse and keyboard I picked up today work fine. It does seem a little odd that the keyboard will work in BIOS but not in Windows, though. I think I'll try reinstalling the driver, but I wonder if there could have been an error in the Windows updates that were installed just before this problem manifested. Thanks again everybody!:wave:

Unless it's not fried (ie works in CMOS), and it was a Windows Update driver issue, that caused a conflict.
Therefore it can be Windows Update (indirectly!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back