XP missed files on installing-computer now misfunctions

Status
Not open for further replies.

maniacgeorge

Hi,
A couple of weeks ago I (legally!) installed xp on a computer but it could not install several files. I tried again but the same files kept not installing so I skipped them and xp works. Sort of. There are now loads of niggling problems with the computer which I presume come from the 40 or so mostly .dll files that did not install. There are also a few .sys, .exe and a .icm file. Luckily I kept as list of them.

My problems include no standby function, display adapters not recognized, active x not working in places, wmi failure and various crashes and things. I'm working on the assumption that installing these files will fix the problems but I have some questions:
1. Do these problems sound like ones caused by non installation of files on xp setup and if so why did they not install twice?
2. Can I just install these to make my pc work-if so where do I install them?
3. If not what do I do?-do I use repair on my xp cd?

I'll post the list of files below.
Thanks in advance guys. Techspot forums have been my saviour before and I hope they can be again!

Start --> Run --> sfc /scannow
Takes about an hour, and you will need your Windows CD
Disconnect Network and personnal firewall first.

That's:
sfc<space><forwardSlash>ScanNow
(Just trying to be clearer for you)

tosdvd.sys
tsbvcap.sys
bsbyuv.dll
usbcamd.sys
usbcamd2.sys
vdmindvd.sys
wowfax.dll
wowfaxui.dll
usrcntra.dll
usrntra.dll (it appeared twice?!)
usrcoina.dll
usrdpa.dll
usrdtea.dll
usrfaxa.dll
usrlbua.dll
usmlnka.exe
usrprbda.exe
usrrtosa.dll
usrsdpia.dll
usrshuta.exe
usrsupia.dll
usrv42a.dll
usrv80a.dll
usrvoica.dll
usrvpa.dll
kodac_dc.icm
mdwmdmsp.dll
nikedrv.sys
rio8.sys
riodrv.sys
spnike.dll
sprio600.dll
sprio800.dll
srg6.icm
streamci.dll
tsvga.sys
paqsp.dll
mouhid.sys

I don't know which ones are most important and I've probably spelt a couple wrong
but any way I hope it helps. Another problem is seeing exactly my pc specs but basically its a
AMD Athlon 2ghz dual core 64bit CPU
1 gig of ram
256mb nvidia 6100 nforce 405 inbuilt graphics
32BIT XP HOME edition.
thanks again!

You sould test your computer hardware like the RAM, hard drie and the CD-ROM drive to make sure these are OK. After that just reinstall using a CD that is not damaged..

hum; this looks like a reinstall rather than an install on an empty disk.

you should be concerned "it could not install several files." WHY, not found or some kind of error?

if not found, then these are EOM driver issues.

bug memory leak try reinstalling, just back up and only pput your needed files because some might be curropting yur comp.

That doesn't make any sense moeezzy1, how does a memory leak prevent files from being installed. And why would files being put there on a clean install of Windows be corrupting something.

Many times when files are having problems being copied on install it is bad or unreadable media (could be bad drive or bad disk or cable) or bad RAM. These were covered in posts above yours.

maniacgeorge - you might be able to get by with an install of SP3 on top of your existing install. Failing that, check your RAM and do what kimsland said.

One method that strangely works for us is to use the official Microsoft Service Pack 2 disk. It doesn't work well with the download version.
When we reinstall Service Pack 2, the files usually get repaired or installed and everything returns to normal.
Otherwise, I would get a new ore clean copy of your Windows Disk because you have a hardware or disc problem that will not go away.

ok, just found the problem, it was ram. i removed one of the stickes and it worked in perfection.

now, my problem is that this is a new ram stick, the last ones where bad, and in the store i made them run a check to the memorys to see if this where good, and the memorys passed 7 cicles of testing with no problem.

can it be my mobo? it is a p5k-pro, and i read that they are problematic.

Then they should be willing to take them back.

You have a mismatch between what some memory can do, and what your motherboard expects. This is becoming more frequent with high end systems. You always need high rated, highest quality memory, and it is difficult to tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back