TechSpot

XP Modem conflict on Notebooks

By Splash
Nov 29, 2005
  1. Hi there

I know there is a conflict with XP Pro and Modems on a desktop pc. However I have just reloaded my Fujitsu Siemens Amilo M7405 Notebook with XP Pro and it does not want to detect my internal modem which is a Smartlink 56k modem. I have loaded and reloaded the drivers, from the cd and from the file I downloaded from Fujistu's website. I thought maybe because it an onboard modem I should try reloading the chipsets and mobo drivers but I cannot come to a solution. Can someone please help me!!!!

Thanx

2. IronDuke

IronDuke TS Rookie Posts: 1,267

Have a look in Device Manager to see if it is there, if re-install driver. If not try running the New Hardware wizard and select manual install a nd go to modem and tick 'have disk' and install your drivers.

3. Splash

Splash TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hey There

I have tried this, the device manager has no modems, even if i scan for new devices. When I try installing new hardware it goes through the steps, after I select the .inf file which is the driver it accepts it and when you click next theres no modems to choose from. I've tried with different drivers as well. I have even right clicked on the .inf file and selected install....nope, doesn't work. I also thought maybe its disabled in the BIOS since its onboard but there is no settings for it!!! Whats the next steps???

4. IronDuke

IronDuke TS Rookie Posts: 1,267

Check for updated mobo chipset drivers. If thre aren't any try re-installing the original.

5. Splash

Splash TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanx A Lot for the help IronDuke

That didnt work either, I've got a feeling the modem might be faulty, its just that it was working before I reloaded XP so I thought there might be a software or driver conflict. The notebook is still under warranty so I'm going to take it back to Siemens for them to fix it. But thanx for the help I really appreciate it.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.