XP monitor problem - non PnP monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I was wondering if anyone has had/solved the problem of using a TV which incorporates a VGA connection (in my case an LG-RZ23LZ20), as a PC monitor.

I have no problem driving a normal PnP monitor (LG-L1717S, currently set to 1024x768 at 60Hz).

However when I connect to the TV, the windows splash screen displays OK but it will only boot into safe mode. I select VGA mode, and get into the basic 640x480 VGA display.

If I closedown cleanly at this point, the next bootup still requires safe mode.

If I try to select display>settings>properties at this point, I am unable to get into the settings window to view/change anything - windoze just decides to restart at this point!!!

This behaviour is ONLY experienced when trying to connect to the TV as a monitor - I've tried a couple of different standard PnP monitors & everything is hunky-dory with these.

I have a fresh install of XP-Sp2 with all the updates, onboard video is Intel 82865G with latest drivers.

Many thanks, Geoff

No - it's definitely a PC input - this is the connection instructions from the (fairly unhelpful) LG manual
file.php

an evening's trawling the web has pointed me in this direction
If the monitor is not detected as Plug and Play Monitor, the monitor is not included in the monitor .inf files. Check Windows Update or contact your hardware manufacturer for an updated Windows XP Professional .inf file.
Any ideas on creating the correct .inf file if I can't get one from LG - I need to set the video mode to 1024x768 @ 60Hz

Many Thanks, Geoff

The saga continues - I completely removed my video drivers, and the boot problem has gone. The system boots now to the basic System VGA driver at 1024x768 but a very low color setting (Low=8bit so the display looks cr*p - with no options to upgrade it).

If I reinstall the video drivers - the problems return, so it looks like a conflict between the video drivers & the monitor :mad:

Is there any way of getting the drivers to recognise the monitor on reistall - I don't know if a monitor.inf file for this TV/Monitor would be the thing which would fix this???

Thanks, Geoff

creating .inf driver files requires more skills than you are likely to find on this forum (go on, somebody, surprise us!) so you are dependent on LG for the driver.

Albert - thanks for showing some interest / help.:approve:

FYI - I've now disabled the onboard graphics in device manager, and just use the basic System VGA when I use my TV monitor, and accept that on such a big screen, using 16 colour 640x480 res. ain't so bad - I can actually sit back from the screen and read it without needing my glasses (I'm long sighted)

G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back