XP My Computer doesn't recognize files have been deleted

Knot2Brite

UPDATE thanks to the help of board members I am better able now to articulate the problem.

--- Within Windows Explorer one of the destinations is My Computer. It lists drives, capacity and free space. after either moving or deleting files the free space does not increase and in some cases decreases - it is as IF Windows didn't remove the files but additionally made a copy. ----

if you have any thoughts on how to correct this problem please share them

ORIGINAL POST
I am so ignorant that I'm not able to describe well but here goes.

My C Dr. was filling up so I deleted 10 GB and move 80 GB to another drive. My Computer shows the 90 GB as still being on C Dr. My Computer recorded the 80 GB transferred to the D Dr.

Windows Explorer confirms that the files are no longer physically on the C Dr. I have run JV 16 to clean the registry. I have run CHKDSK-no errors.

I have exhausted my technical competence so your help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

there are other temp locations related to each users %userprofile% too which is what cleanmgr resolves for you :)

Hello,
In turn, I have tried each suggestion without solving the problem. These were about 80 GB of MP3, WMA, and AVI files. some were deleted and others moved to my D and E drives where they are recorded and playback.

Acting on other suggestions I have variously defrag and optimized, ran CC cleaner (which empties the recycle bin), ran CHKDSK three times, I'm sure there were a couple of other things but they don't come to mind at the moment.

I am using imaging software, Drive Cloner , as backup software and I have a image of the appropriate size. Also CHKDSK flashes for a fraction of a second the numbers on disk capacity and files usage and it seems to be in the appropriate range. If the damned screen would display long enough to read it carefully I would be more positive.

So it seems my image and CHKDSK know the correct number for usage but the "My Computer"" measuring tool is not accurate. Unless someone knows how to force Windows to remeasure I will try to use an image file.

Until then I am certainly open and appreciate any and all suggestions,

Thank you

Bob

Also CHKDSK flashes for a fraction of a second the numbers on disk capacity and files usage and it seems to be in the appropriate range. If the damned screen would display long enough to read it carefully I would be more positive.

Lol! Run chkdsk from command prompt, then you'll get all the time in the world to inspect its message.

So it seems my image and CHKDSK know the correct number for usage but the "My Computer"" measuring tool is not accurate.

Could you tell us how you do this "My Computer" measuring tool? Your problem is very strange.

Within Windows Explorer one of the destinations is My Computer. It lists drives, capacity and free space. after either moving or deleting files the free space does not increase and in some cases decreases - like Windows didn't remove but additionally made a copy. chkdsk /r ran overnight from boot but no change, another board had me check Output pst files, they are normal

thanks for keeping me in mind

What if you right click on the drive icon and select Properties. Does the page that pops up show correct amount of the drive's capacity, used, and free?

last evening my Dell service technician did just that and everything appeared normal . He wanted to ensure that the drive, actually all drives, were partitioned properly. I have three additional hard drives in the box that are used just for backup. How do you prove a negative? None of the drives are divided which I guess says "they are partitioned properly because they ain't"

on another board a fellow from England has suggested using a Linux program, I know nothing about it. My Dell technician is suggested I download a copy of a program called treesize professional, I hope it has a trial version.

Thanks

Then I believe technically your drive is just fine. It's only "My Computer" that reports incorrect numbers. I have experienced this myself, just not that big of a number (only in tens MB or so). I have googled and found others stated similar problems. Perhaps information shown by "My Computer" relies on snapshots instead of result from direct query. As long as it doesn't realize something significant had changed in the drive, it won't update the snapshot.

You can use TreeSize to examine folders size easily. So you can spot which folder(s) that eaten your drive. I believe there are some freeware that offers similar functionalities (but usually less friendly).

Since there is no actual technical problem you should be worry about, if it's me I will wait till it updates itself.

Hi Luthfi,
telling an obsessive worrier to wait is like pouring gasoline on a fire, but I do feel better.
The files are no longer on the hard drive. I used tree size there aren't any mystery folders of any size. While the Dell service technician was on my computer running CHKDSK without any parameters CHKDSK reported some "Index" problems. Rebooting and running CHKDSK/F the program did not find the elusive files. We, he is the technical one, and I concluded that the problem lies in how "My Computer" is functioning. I fear that when my computer, erroneously, figures I have reached hard drive capacity it will not allow me to download. I have not been able to find, and evidently you were no more successful, a program or is setting that will force "My Computer" to recheck its count

Back