XP not booting, windows/system32/config/system missing or corrupt

1. Hi my computer was working fine last night, but then when I tried to boot it this morning I got:
    Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt windows system32 config system.
    Safe mode doesn't work, last known good configuration doesn't work, and I tried to do a repair install but it didn't seem to see my previous installation of windows.
    I haven't made any changes to anything AFAIK.

I read this but it seems that you need to use safe mode.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
    Thanks for your help.
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,451   +135

Hard drive failure?
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,026   +221

Ouch - - sounds like HD failure to me too
  4. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] I'm a TechSpot Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 4,257   +110

If I hadn't just reformatted a few months ago I'd be happy to replace it with an SSD :(
    Is there anything I can do to confirm? Should I try to reinstall windows?
  5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,026   +221

Hmm; You need to boot something that will allow you to inspect the condition of the Partition.
    My Win/7 Disk Management (via the CP->Admin Tools->Computer Management) reports
    the boot partition as
    • Health
    • boot
    • page file
    • Primary Partition
    the Recovery partition as
    • Healthy
    • System
    • Active
    • Primary

Crashed partitions show up as Unknown, RAW, or nothing at all. In this case, you could perform a Clean Install
    which should prompt to format the device. If you can get a tool for formatting BEFORE you start the install,
    perform a low-level format (ie not the Quick Format) - - you want every block on the HD to be rewritten.

Once you take this path, ASAP, get a cmd prompt and enter CHKDSK c: /F /R which will verify every file
  6. Tmagic650

Yes you can try a re-install. This should confirm that the hard drive is bad. What is the hard drive's make and model?
  7. hellokitty[hk]

Hmm, what's the easiest way of doing this? When I booted into the windows installer it showed the partitioning exactly as it should be, a primary partition and some unallocated space that I was planning to install linux on.

I think I lost my flash drive though and I have a bootable windows XP on that probably would work.
  8. Tmagic650

9. hellokitty[hk]

It's a WD Caviar 500GB, can't remember what color. It's been around four or five years of pretty light use.
    In case it wasn't clear before, the WD hdd is partitioned into a 400GB NTFS partition and ~80GB of unpartitioned space.

Sorry I've been a little busy, I did try installing windows and using the unpartitioned space as a new partition but it said that that partition wasn't suitable for a windows (xp) install.
    AFAIK XP should be able to create a new NTFS partition using the unpartitioned space and install on it so this is bad.

I would like to try and access the HDD first and get some files off before reformatting and trying another install, so I will move some files around on another working PATA hdd I have and try to install windows there. For some reason my linux disks did not work.

Thanks for the help.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.