XP Not Recognizing Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running a HP dv9000 notebook with XP.
This morning I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows because my computer had been crashing. It works really well except for now it is running slowly. I checked the system part of the control panel and noticed it is saying that I only have 256mb of RAM installed currently.

Computer:
AMD Turion 64 x2 Mobile
803 MHz (seems to fluctuate IDK if this is also part of the problem)
256 MB of RAM
Physical Address Extension.

I installed SP3 earlier and then subsequently uninstalled it thinking that was the problem. The BIOS screen and Belarc Advisor are both showing that I have 2GB Ram installed.

I have been trying things all day, none of them worked! Please help so I can get my computer back.

check the bios for any ram settings, it can be limited there...otherwise run a memory test with a ubuntu cd (can be downloaded for free)

check the bios for any ram settings, it can be limited there...otherwise run a memory test with a ubuntu cd (can be downloaded for free)

I looked around my BIOS several times and there doesn't seem to be anything involving ram.

And tedster, I didn't install any new ram. I've had the same ram since I bought this laptop a few years ago.

I will try ubuntu and memtest though

I looked around my BIOS several times and there doesn't seem to be anything involving ram.

And tedster, I didn't install any new ram. I've had the same ram since I bought this laptop a few years ago.

I will try ubuntu and memtest though
read the entire guide, not just the first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back