XP Not Recognizing Ram

By zeecorner
May 27, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am running a HP dv9000 notebook with XP.
    This morning I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows because my computer had been crashing. It works really well except for now it is running slowly. I checked the system part of the control panel and noticed it is saying that I only have 256mb of RAM installed currently.

Computer:
    AMD Turion 64 x2 Mobile
    803 MHz (seems to fluctuate IDK if this is also part of the problem)
    256 MB of RAM
    Physical Address Extension.

I installed SP3 earlier and then subsequently uninstalled it thinking that was the problem. The BIOS screen and Belarc Advisor are both showing that I have 2GB Ram installed.

I have been trying things all day, none of them worked! Please help so I can get my computer back.
  2. DjKraid

DjKraid TechSpot Maniac Posts: 627   +14

check the bios for any ram settings, it can be limited there...otherwise run a memory test with a ubuntu cd (can be downloaded for free)
  3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

4. zeecorner

zeecorner Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I looked around my BIOS several times and there doesn't seem to be anything involving ram.

And tedster, I didn't install any new ram. I've had the same ram since I bought this laptop a few years ago.

I will try ubuntu and memtest though
  5. zeecorner

zeecorner Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I ran memtest through 7 times and said no errors.
  6. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

read the entire guide, not just the first post.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.