XP pro 32, 64 or Vista 32 or 64?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

How much faster is xp 64 than 32? Is vista 64 ready for prime time yet? Will 64 bit make video editing faster? I have some questions on this and if anyone can answer I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

I think I have decided to do a dual boot and keep my xp pro and add vista on my new machine. I have never done it before. What are the recommendations on doing this?

But now for something else I am debating. I really have some important things that I can't lose. I was wondering how many of you feel about raid 1. I know, I know it is not as fast as raid 0, but I have seen in many reports that it is faster in almost everything else than a single drive.
So, what do you think if I get 2 320gb hdd and partition them for xp and vista. I use a raid 1 to make my system a little more fool proof. Then I add two more 500gb hdd and raid those to use for my videos, pics, docs etc.
Right now I have a 500gb external hdd that I use as backup with acronis and I would use that with this new system to add another line of backup.
What would be your ideal system?

Yup, Xp32bit was written when most mobo's supported a maximum of 3 gig of ram.

I think Vista 32-bit has a 3 or 4 gig RAM limit too, correct me if I am wrong.
So it also depends on how much RAM you plan on installing, and I believe that your graphics RAM counts too, for example if you have a graphics card with 512MB of RAM, and you have 3GB of RAM and XP 32-bit installed, you will only see and be able to use 3GB of RAM. Also, 32-bit and 64-bit should cost the same.

Chris

Graphics card ram has nothing whatsoever to do with mobo ram unless you have built-in graphics on said mobo.

You could fit a graphics card with 10gig of ram (if one existed) and it wouldn't make the slightest difference to mobo ram.

They are 2 entirely separate things.

[edit] For video editing, i personally think that xp64 would be best provided that you could find good working drivers for all of your hardware. I have tried xp64 but i had to take it back as i couldnt get mobo lan driver, graphics card driver, and net connection driver that would actually work at all.

If I am going to dual boot using xp 64 and vista 64 what things do I really need to know?
Hardware?
Software?
How do I find out what works?

rik said:
Graphics card ram has nothing whatsoever to do with mobo ram unless you have built-in graphics on said mobo.
Wrong, a certain amount of system ram is reserved for video memory swapping. That's why in 32-bit Windows the amount of usable memory will vary depending on the amount of onboard memory your video card has. Some people have 2.75GB of main memory show up, some have up to 3.2GB.

Taken from http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000811.html
In the absence of the /PAE switch, the Windows memory manager is limited to a 4 GB physical address space. Most of that address space is filled with RAM, but not all of it. Memory-mapped devices (such as your video card) will use some of that physical address space, as will the BIOS ROMs. After all the non-memory devices have had their say, there will be less than 4GB of address space available for RAM below the 4GB physical address boundary.

Its a bit of a moot point tho, this thread is about the ram limit of various os's.
I was referring to post #8 where the poster says
So it also depends on how much RAM you plan on installing, and I believe that your graphics RAM counts too, for example if you have a graphics card with 512MB of RAM, and you have 3GB of RAM and XP 32-bit installed, you will only see and be able to use 3GB of RAM.
where it makes no difference in his example anyway.

If I am going to dual boot using xp 64 and vista 64 what things do I really need to know?
Hardware?
Software?
How do I find out what works?

I went to the microsoft site and can't find any thing really for the 64 bit vista that shows hardware and software compatibility. I have done a bunch of googling but must have missed some.

In Windows XP MCE yes, in Ubuntu 7.10 X86-64 I manage. ;)

I'm looking to upgrade to a 64-bit Windows OS in the future but the promotion on the memory price was too good to pass by. :)

don't spend money on 4gb of ram just yet. vista 32bit has a memmory remapping issue that so far isn't fixed, and vista 64bit has very poor support for drivers, software, games. xp doesn't even count as an option if you really want to buy the latest hadware available (it simply doesn't know how to properly manage that amount of resources). or you can go linux :p. but the best option i think it's to be patient (in the coming spring microsoft anounced a sp1 release wich i hope it will solve most of the presently known issues). if you remember, xp was a piece of crap too until sp2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back