XP pro 32, 64 or Vista 32 or 64?

By ingeborgdot
Oct 27, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. How much faster is xp 64 than 32? Is vista 64 ready for prime time yet? Will 64 bit make video editing faster? I have some questions on this and if anyone can answer I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
  2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

That will all depend on what hardware you have really.
  3. ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 751

I will get whatever hardware I need. Money is not an issue but I don't want a $1000 cpu either.
  4. ingeborgdot

I think I have decided to do a dual boot and keep my xp pro and add vista on my new machine. I have never done it before. What are the recommendations on doing this?
  5. ingeborgdot

But now for something else I am debating. I really have some important things that I can't lose. I was wondering how many of you feel about raid 1. I know, I know it is not as fast as raid 0, but I have seen in many reports that it is faster in almost everything else than a single drive.
    So, what do you think if I get 2 320gb hdd and partition them for xp and vista. I use a raid 1 to make my system a little more fool proof. Then I add two more 500gb hdd and raid those to use for my videos, pics, docs etc.
    Right now I have a 500gb external hdd that I use as backup with acronis and I would use that with this new system to add another line of backup.
    What would be your ideal system?
  6. ChrisLam

ChrisLam Newcomer, in training Posts: 104

I think 32-bit OSs have a RAM limit or something....
  7. Rik

Yup, Xp32bit was written when most mobo's supported a maximum of 3 gig of ram.
  8. ChrisLam

ChrisLam Newcomer, in training Posts: 104

I think Vista 32-bit has a 3 or 4 gig RAM limit too, correct me if I am wrong.
    So it also depends on how much RAM you plan on installing, and I believe that your graphics RAM counts too, for example if you have a graphics card with 512MB of RAM, and you have 3GB of RAM and XP 32-bit installed, you will only see and be able to use 3GB of RAM. Also, 32-bit and 64-bit should cost the same.

Chris
  9. Rik

Graphics card ram has nothing whatsoever to do with mobo ram unless you have built-in graphics on said mobo.

You could fit a graphics card with 10gig of ram (if one existed) and it wouldn't make the slightest difference to mobo ram.

They are 2 entirely separate things.

[edit] For video editing, i personally think that xp64 would be best provided that you could find good working drivers for all of your hardware. I have tried xp64 but i had to take it back as i couldnt get mobo lan driver, graphics card driver, and net connection driver that would actually work at all.
  10. ingeborgdot

If I am going to dual boot using xp 64 and vista 64 what things do I really need to know?
    Hardware?
    Software?
    How do I find out what works?
  11. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

Wrong, a certain amount of system ram is reserved for video memory swapping. That's why in 32-bit Windows the amount of usable memory will vary depending on the amount of onboard memory your video card has. Some people have 2.75GB of main memory show up, some have up to 3.2GB.
  12. Rik

I personally have never seen that apart from on mobo's with built in graphics.
  13. Didou

Taken from http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000811.html

14. Rik

Its a bit of a moot point tho, this thread is about the ram limit of various os's.
    I was referring to post #8 where the poster says
    where it makes no difference in his example anyway.
  15. Didou

Well yes granted, that example is not a very good one.
  16. ingeborgdot

If I am going to dual boot using xp 64 and vista 64 what things do I really need to know?
    Hardware?
    Software?
    How do I find out what works?
  17. Rik

Google, thats the best way to find info.
  18. ingeborgdot

I went to the microsoft site and can't find any thing really for the 64 bit vista that shows hardware and software compatibility. I have done a bunch of googling but must have missed some.
  19. Rik

20. ingeborgdot

If I would happen to use 32 bit for my os, is 3gb or 4 just wasting money?
  21. Didou

3GB is fine, 4GB is a waste.
  22. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

...says Didou who has 4 GB of RAM in XP MCE - according your profile. Disappointed?
  23. Didou

In Windows XP MCE yes, in Ubuntu 7.10 X86-64 I manage. ;)

I'm looking to upgrade to a 64-bit Windows OS in the future but the promotion on the memory price was too good to pass by. :)
  24. prometeus

prometeus Newcomer, in training

don't spend money on 4gb of ram just yet. vista 32bit has a memmory remapping issue that so far isn't fixed, and vista 64bit has very poor support for drivers, software, games. xp doesn't even count as an option if you really want to buy the latest hadware available (it simply doesn't know how to properly manage that amount of resources). or you can go linux :p. but the best option i think it's to be patient (in the coming spring microsoft anounced a sp1 release wich i hope it will solve most of the presently known issues). if you remember, xp was a piece of crap too until sp2.
  25. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Where do all these posts come from?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.