XP Pro 64: unallocated disk space

By josbd
Feb 13, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Prob basic stupidity, so bear with a troubled mind! I've been dumped with an Aspire 5020 to get up and running by a mate. Hard drive was fritzed so I got a second hand 80 gig drive and installed it. Went to install XP on the drive, but it would only format to 62%. I decided to partition it, with the operating system on C. Created a partition of 10gig. XP then installed with no problem.

Now I cannot see anything but C drive (10 gig) in My Comp, but if I open Disk Management, C Drive shows in the top section, but the rest of the drive only shows up as 60 gig unallocated space underneath.

Could some very kind person tell me how I can allocate a drive letter/format this unallocated space please?

Many thanks!
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,266   +218

In Disk Management, right click on that unallocated space and create new primary partition. That should do it.

Edit for additional thoughts:
    Before you do that, I can't remember if XP64 will allow you to expand a partition into unallocated space or not. If it does, I would urge you to consider giving the C partition more than 10 gigs. Sure XP will install and run fine on less, but a few months down the road you'll be running low on free space. Might be safer to give it 20. Or even consider just having the drive 1 big partition... If XP's disk management won't let you expand it, you might make and boot off a gparted disk and expand the partition that way.
    TheHawk likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.