XP Pro 64: unallocated disk space

josbd

Prob basic stupidity, so bear with a troubled mind! I've been dumped with an Aspire 5020 to get up and running by a mate. Hard drive was fritzed so I got a second hand 80 gig drive and installed it. Went to install XP on the drive, but it would only format to 62%. I decided to partition it, with the operating system on C. Created a partition of 10gig. XP then installed with no problem.

Now I cannot see anything but C drive (10 gig) in My Comp, but if I open Disk Management, C Drive shows in the top section, but the rest of the drive only shows up as 60 gig unallocated space underneath.

Could some very kind person tell me how I can allocate a drive letter/format this unallocated space please?

Many thanks!

In Disk Management, right click on that unallocated space and create new primary partition. That should do it.

Edit for additional thoughts:
Before you do that, I can't remember if XP64 will allow you to expand a partition into unallocated space or not. If it does, I would urge you to consider giving the C partition more than 10 gigs. Sure XP will install and run fine on less, but a few months down the road you'll be running low on free space. Might be safer to give it 20. Or even consider just having the drive 1 big partition... If XP's disk management won't let you expand it, you might make and boot off a gparted disk and expand the partition that way.

Back