TechSpot

XP Pro/ Cannot double click open folders

By acuneo
Mar 31, 2008
  1. my computer recently froze, and after rebooting it I can no longer double-click to open up any folders on my hard drive. Instead, after 1-click a search/command prompt opens up, and I must manually click 'open' to execute the program. Right-clicking does absolutely nothing at all--no search/command prompt or copy/edit function.
    Here's what I've done so far:
    1) I have checked my mouse settings. the preference for double-clicking is on, and I slowed the speed down as well.
    2) I have run AVG anti-virus as well as Trend Micro and nothing has come up. (I also ran an online virus scan at Pandasecurity.com)
    3) I have updated/run Spybot and again, nothing unusual.
    4) I tried the following solution at dougknox: dougknox. com/xp/scripts_d...older_open.htm
    and still nothing.
    5) I tried a system restore to a few days prior, and again nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

This problem occurs when you alter the "Drive" / "File Folders" entries via File Types dialog, to add a "Command Prompt here" or "Print Directory" feature for folders. (example)

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

Click Start/Run and type this command to fix this problem:
    regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

To fix this manually via registry:

If this problem is seen for folders:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
    Set (default) to "none" (without ")

If this problem is seen for Drives:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell
    Set (default) to "none" (without ")

3. acuneo

acuneo TS Rookie Topic Starter

I tried both of those and still no change.... I restarted the computer just in case it was necessary for any changes to apply.

4. kimsland

Hmm, I would like to know where the exact registry issue is myself
    Also confirm in Users in Control Panel that you are an Administrator account holder

I have dimmed the following, because I prefer you try the Edits (below) first
    edit:

Wait.

I have one more.

Find c:\windows\inf\shell.inf
    Rename it to shell.old
    Restart

Edit2 !

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
    Set (default) to "open" (without ")

This is my absolute last Edit !!! Edit3
    Have a look here:
    http://windowsitpro.com/article/art...n-and-displays-the-search-results-window.html
    Create the two files (Bat and Reg) and try that

Although I think edit 2 looks to be the best answer

Edit4 (It'll never end!!!)

Before Performing this create a backup of your registery first.
    Go to Run n then type regedit then go to :-

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory]
    Expand it and then delete the Key Shell

Then Open Notepad and then copy/paste the following code in it :-
    Save it by any name But the extension Should be .reg.Finally Double click on it and then click on Yes .

Now Go to :-
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive]
    Expand it and then delete Shell Key from it .

Now Open Notepad And then copy/paste the following code in it :-
    Save it by any name But the extension Should be .reg.Finally Double click on it and then click on Yes .

Restart

5. acuneo

Thank you so much! Edit 2 seemed to do that trick!
    What a nice relief!

6. kimsland

Thank-you for letting me know.
    I can now reference this thread to others.

:)

7. acuneo

hmm...well, i may have spoken too soon. I had to restart my computer, and now it's doing it again. I'm going to try some of these other edits.

8. acuneo

Edit 2 and Edit 4 both restore my double-click function, but don't allow me to right-click at all. But once I restart my computer, it goes back to the way it was before (no double or right-clicking).

I've also noted that while in programs like Word or even iTunes, the drag feature will turn on, and I won't be able to turn it off.

9. kimsland

Download HijackThis installer.
    Run it and do a system scan and save log file

Highlight to copy the entire of the scan log text (due to your issue with right click function you can use Ctrl+A to select all text, then press Ctrl+C to copy it)

Do a new reply here, and paste the copied results in a new message (Ctrl+V)

10. acuneo

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 3:32:44 PM, on 4/1/2008
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5730.0013)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Virtual Token\vtserver.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\ibmpmsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    C:\Program Files\IBM\IBM Rapid Restore Ultra\rrpcsb.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\QCONSVC.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\TpKmpSVC.exe
    c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\TpShocks.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY\TPHKMGR.exe
    C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY\TPONSCR.exe
    C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY_1\TpScrex.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\UTILIT~1\EzEjMnAp.Exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
    C:\Program Files\IBM\Messages By IBM\ibmmessages.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    C:\IBMTOOLS\UTILS\ibmprc.exe
    C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\ConnectUtilities\QCTRAY.EXE
    C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\ConnectUtilities\QCWLICON.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\RunDll32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\Google Talk\googletalk.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.1128.5462\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
    C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\distnoted.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Andrea Cuneo\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\CI44YC92\HiJackThis[1].exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
    O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [S3TRAY2] S3Tray2.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPKMAPHELPER] C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Utilities\TpKmapAp.exe -helper
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TpShocks] TpShocks.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPHOTKEY] C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY\TPHKMGR.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ControlCenter] "C:\Program Files\IBM fingerprint software\ctlcntr.exe" /startup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TP4EX] tp4ex.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EZEJMNAP] C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\UTILIT~1\EzEjMnAp.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UC_Start] C:\Program Files\IBM\Updater\\ucstartup.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ibmmessages] C:\Program Files\IBM\Messages By IBM\\ibmmessages.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IBMPRC] C:\IBMTOOLS\UTILS\ibmprc.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QCTRAY] C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\ConnectUtilities\QCTRAY.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QCWLICON] C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\ConnectUtilities\QCWLICON.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BMMGAG] RunDll32 C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\UTILIT~1\pwrmonit.dll,StartPwrMonitor
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BMMLREF] C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Utilities\BMMLREF.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BMMMONWND] rundll32.exe C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\UTILIT~1\BatInfEx.dll,BMMAutonomicMonitor
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [googletalk] C:\Program Files\Google\Google Talk\googletalk.exe /autostart
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ibmmessages] C:\Program Files\IBM\Messages By IBM\ibmmessages.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.1128.5462\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\IBM\Java141\jre\bin\NPJPI141.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: IBM Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\IBM\Java141\jre\bin\NPJPI141.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O11 - Options group: [JAVA_IBM] Java (IBM)
    O16 - DPF: {25365FF3-2746-4230-9DA7-163CCA318309} (Automatic Driver Installation Control) - http://inst.c-wss.com/vwhpro/EN/install/gtdownlr.cab
    O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: EvtEng - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
    O23 - Service: IBM Rapid Restore Ultra Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\IBM\IBM Rapid Restore Ultra\rrpcsb.exe
    O23 - Service: IBM PM Service (IBMPMSVC) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\ibmpmsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: IBM PSA Access Driver Control (PsaSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\PsaSrv.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: QCONSVC - IBM Corp. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\QCONSVC.EXE
    O23 - Service: RegSrvc - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Spectrum24 Event Monitor (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
    O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
    O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
    O23 - Service: IBM KCU Service (TpKmpSVC) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\TpKmpSVC.exe
    O23 - Service: Protector Suite Virtual Token (vtserver) - UPEK Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Virtual Token\vtserver.exe

--
    End of file - 9708 bytes

11. kimsland

Oh, that was quick. Are you just waiting by the computer? lol :)

Anyway, a real quick look. I don't see any Malware. But I'm wondering if Symantec is stopping these changes (on reboot)
    If you want to back up your licence info for Symantec (Norton) and then run option 4 again. Then restart.

By the way, removing Symantec will actually help your system (!) Norton uses a lot of system resource, some (well most) users who receive this product on a new system, actually fully un-install it, then load AVG Free (which does the exact same thing and a tenth of the resource.

Failing all of the above (except Norton removal - which can't be bad)
    Run my first idea at last !! sfc /scannow from Start Run.

12. kritius

kritius TS Guru Posts: 2,084

Woops!!

C:\Documents and Settings\Andrea Cuneo\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\CI44YC92\HiJackThis[1].exe

Next please follow these instructions. Your version of Hijackthis is installed in the wrong folder

First please go to Start -> Control Panel -> Add/remove programs and uninstall Hijackthis.

Highjackthis Instructions
    • Make sure you have the LATEST version of HJT (currently v2.0.2) it can be downloaded from HERE
    • Run the HijackThis Installer and it will automatically place HJT in C:\Program Files\TrendMicro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe. Please don't change the directory.
    • After installing, the program launches automatically, select Scan now and save a log
    • After the scan is complete please attach you log into your reply.

13. kimsland

I suppose the exe was downloaded and run
    But it comes up with a big message upon running it, that HJT is running from a temporary folder... Please copy it to...
    (I had to remove and re-download this to find out why it went to a temporary folder)
    But the startup message was quite clear!

edit:

Also kritius can you please edit your username temporary folder text, to say "username" I know I'd like that

14. acuneo

I must not have paid attention the first time...here's an updated hijack:
    Scan saved at 5:03:36 PM, on 4/1/2008
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5730.0013)

Running processes:
    C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.1128.5462\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
    O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPKMAPHELPER] C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\Utilities\TpKmapAp.exe -helper
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ControlCenter] "C:\Program Files\IBM fingerprint software\ctlcntr.exe" /startup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ibmmessages] C:\Program Files\IBM\Messages By IBM\\ibmmessages.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QCTRAY] C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\ConnectUtilities\QCTRAY.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QCWLICON] C:\Program Files\ThinkPad\ConnectUtilities\QCWLICON.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BMMGAG] RunDll32 C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\UTILIT~1\pwrmonit.dll,StartPwrMonitor
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BMMMONWND] rundll32.exe C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\UTILIT~1\BatInfEx.dll,BMMAutonomicMonitor
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [googletalk] C:\Program Files\Google\Google Talk\googletalk.exe /autostart
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ibmmessages] C:\Program Files\IBM\Messages By IBM\ibmmessages.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.1128.5462\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\IBM\Java141\jre\bin\NPJPI141.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: IBM Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\IBM\Java141\jre\bin\NPJPI141.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {25365FF3-2746-4230-9DA7-163CCA318309} (Automatic Driver Installation Control) - http://inst.c-wss.com/vwhpro/EN/install/gtdownlr.cab
    O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: EvtEng - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
    O23 - Service: IBM Rapid Restore Ultra Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\IBM\IBM Rapid Restore Ultra\rrpcsb.exe
    O23 - Service: IBM PM Service (IBMPMSVC) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\ibmpmsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: IBM PSA Access Driver Control (PsaSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\PsaSrv.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: RegSrvc - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Spectrum24 Event Monitor (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
    O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
    O23 - Service: IBM KCU Service (TpKmpSVC) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\TpKmpSVC.exe
    O23 - Service: Protector Suite Virtual Token (vtserver) - UPEK Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Virtual Token\vtserver.exe

--
    End of file - 7851 bytes

also, i did remove norton, and am replacing with AVG. Will try the edit again....

I appreciate all the help!

15. kimsland

Actually whilst waiting for kritius

Please fully un-install Norton (still in log) <-- and your choice (and mine :) )

Download and update x 3 (you need to update 3 times in a row the first time you use it)
    Then do a full scan

Then re-post back the HJT log (again!)
    This is because, ironically AVG seems to pick up more than Norton (you tell me!)

Here it is:
    http://free.grisoft.com/doc/downloads-products/us/frt/0?prd=aff

16. acuneo

Okay, I think i've completely removed all Norton software. I have installed, updated and run AVG--nothing came up. Tried edit 4 again, then did a full system scan, and rebooted....still nothing. I hope I'm not missing something, I am a little slow when it comes to computers... ;)

Here's my latest hijack:
    Scan saved at 8:10:49 PM, on 4/1/2008
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16608)

Running processes:
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\IBM\Updater\jre\bin\javaw.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'SYSTEM')
    O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'Default user')
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe

--
    End of file - 8499 bytes

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.