XP Pro compatiblitiy

Status
Not open for further replies.
:confused: I have a new laptop that I got this year. When I tried to install Windows XP pro a message came up saying that my dvd drive wasnt compatible with pro. Everything else was going well until the end of the install which is when that message came. Should I ignore that message and continue or do I need to change something. HELP!!!

depends

Is it an older laptop or an unpopular one?

Ignore that and continue with your install, its just that Windows XP Pro does not recognize your DVD drive. Oh well, i mean, if you want the laptop for that feature or if that is one you will be using often then get windows 2000 or something older than XP pro.

Chances are XP doesnt recognize it. It will probably still read, but there will be no trouble shooting or advice and it probably wont display any information about it.

Im not 100% sure on this, but im 60% sure I know that I am 100% sure about what I am talking about. If that makes any sense :)

Check the website of the laptop manufacturer, see if they have updated drivers for those things.
Funny XP says it's incompatible with the drive it's currently using. Or did you install from somewhere other then that drive? Just finish the install and see what happens, look for new drivers.

Xp Pro compatibility

No, its a new toshiba satellite and I installed pro normally from the cd drive. It went normally through the installation, then it was checking compatibility and my dvd drive wasnt compatible.

Could it be that you already have one of those new BlueRay DVD-players?
XP would most likely not have any drivers for them (yet).
Check Toshiba's website for (updated) XP-drivers for your exact model.
In Device Manager it should tell you which model you have.
Otherwise get the free Everest Home from www.lavalys.com for a hardware-inventory of the laptop.

You may have to use the Toshiba licensed version of XP. The manufactuer may have a specific driver on the CD that came with the laptop. Once you install it and it works, remove all the bloatware and upgrade to pro if you wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back