XP Pro computer hangs after windows green bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

vortexm

Hello,

i have two identical computers one of them hangs a few seconds after green bar shows.

i've tried to boot the HDD on other computer and it went properly.

all bios features are exactly the same between the two computers still it won't boot.

when i tried the opposite (exchanging HDD) at first the computer booted properly but now it shows the same problem.

i identified that it stays too long on 'verifying dmi pool data' compared with the other computer.

Ii hope you have any suggestions besides installing XP pro again.

regards,

Refusal to boot in <SAFE MODE> is a serious error indicating a major hardware problem.
On the troublesome computer, remove and reseat all cables.
Next, defragment both drives
Then begin by trading components between the two and see if the problem switches to the other computer... Restart after each switch to see if the problem migrates to the other computer... if so you will know part of the problem, but not what to do about it.
Memory and all other components except hard drive... optical drives, modem cards, power supplies, other pci cards.
Since you have already switched hard drives, you have ruled out one problem. Did you really exchange both hard drives to test?
You may have to get down to the level of the CPU to see if there are problems with dust in the fan, or inadequate thermal paste between the CPU and the cooling fan or device.
It may be that the problem is just a glitch in the install setup, and that is more difficult to troubleshoot.

Please get back to us, as this is an interesting problem. I have never had identical computers side by side where one worked and one did not.

Whooooa.

Failure to boot in safe mode does not autmotically mean "a serious error indicating a major hardware problem." The first response to problems isn't replacing/buying new parts (tho one might often hear that answer from computer repair type shops)

Data corruption on the drive (e.g. a bad boot sector, or corrupt file system) can cause boot failure due to buggy software applications or simply a virus.

i'd start with a boot cd which then let's you first check if the drive is operational and you can attempt to fix data corruption issues
>> Fix the MBR
>> Run chkdsk to verify and correct problems with the filesystem
>> Do you have an AntiVirus bootable rescue cd? Use it to scan your drive for any issues

Given no symptom other then "can't boot into SAFE or NORMAL" there's lots of troubleshooting before starting to pay $$ on new parts for a solutions.

In fact best place to start is with a Windows Recovery Console CD, which comes with basic software tools that address and can fix specific non-hardware problems that might be the cause of your problem

Download recovery console CD
You can download a copy of the Recovery Console for use with XP Pro or XP Media Center Edition (do not use this download if you run XP Home). The download is in .iso file format – a burnable CD image.
  1. Verify iso files are a known file type on your computer and determine the software
    which handles it (most multi-media software like Roxio and Nero will manage iso files) In Windows Explorer, click Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types. Scroll down and look for file type iso
    a. If iso exists, note which program is shown to handle it
    b. If iso doesn’t exist, see this link for a freeware tool you can use. You should install the tool before you do the download.
  2. Click this link to download the file rc.iso and save it to disk.
  3. Use your multi-media software (or the freeware too) to burn the .iso file to CD

If you need further assistance (or referal to other helpful boot disks) give a yell

>> Fix the MBR

This would be largely pointless as the fault appears during loading the OS not while booting.

@the OP

You say that safe mode hangs at mup.sys? It is normal for there to be a delay here when booting in safe mode. Did you give it time?

If it does hang, then try booting to the recovery console, log in and do the command "disable mup". Then restart.

If it still hangs, probably at a different driver this time, then mup.sys was hanging simply because it's usually the last driver loaded. It's then likely that you have a display driver issue as this is the point where the vga is initialised. I've seen faulty RAM and incorrect BIOS settings cause this problem as well.

This would be largely pointless as the fault appears during loading the OS not while booting.

@the OP

You say that safe mode hangs at mup.sys? It is normal for there to be a delay here when booting in safe mode. Did you give it time?

If it does hang, then try booting to the recovery console, log in and do the command "disable mup". Then restart.

If it still hangs, probably at a different driver this time, then mup.sys was hanging simply because it's usually the last driver loaded. It's then likely that you have a display driver issue as this is the point where the vga is initialised. I've seen faulty RAM and incorrect BIOS settings cause this problem as well.

Caravel

wrt to fixing MBR you are absolutely correct.

I quickly skimmed through the thread and then banged out the reply (more so agitated at the suggestion that the OP's symptoms immediately indicate "serious hardware failure" while in fact there was prudent software/corruption troubleshooting warranted before any such conclusion)

thank you guys for the suggestions,

we've tried all you mentioned before.

all components (CPU, RAM, HDD, GPU) seem to pass all hardware tests. (i used Hiren bootcd9.9.). at the end we even re-installed xp pro and it failed to boot on the same scenario as before.

after i was completely clueless of what could be wrong with the hardware i've noticed CPU's and GPU capacitors were a little bulged. i tested their value with the help of a friend and 2 of them were 40% below the value (6.3v 1800uF). i bought new ones replaced and xp booted fine and computer is working OK since yesterday.

Interesting. I thought all the capacitor problems were gone after the lawsuits and the publicity from 2002 to 2005. The class action law suits pretty much scared all manufacturers enough to fix or rid themselves of problems.
What did you use to test the values and the capacitors? As you need an ESR meter, and they are expensive. The ordinary "capacitance meter" is virtually worthless in testing and evaluating capacitors.
But the fact that it now works says something.
Hiren Boot CD 9.9 is very good.
We would be interested in what motherboard was the problem. We know the MSI 694D is a bad one, and the Abit, any eMachines board, most Socket 7 boards, Mac G5, iMac, and eMac... Finite I.C.
And one that is still in current use with big capacitance problems is the board for the Dell Optiplex GX270's... lots of failures there.
Most capicitance failures we have seen came on boards made in Taiwan... before 2005

But if you are having a different set of problems in England, it would be good to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back