TechSpot

XP Pro Issues - Chkdsk and Disk Management

By GerryO
Jun 2, 2009
  1. Hi,

Had a bout with a virus and ran Malwarebytes. All is clean now, but Chkdsk will not run after a restart when selected and only the cd/dvdrom drive is listed in Disk Management (and not the four hard drive partitions). USB flash drives will appear in the Device Manager, but nowhere else and cannot be accessed.

Thank you in advance for the help.

2. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,392   +36

Are you sure the malware is all gone? Just because Mbam found and removed malware does not assure it's ALL gone. This is why we recommend the steps here which includes three programs, followed by attaching the three logs for review:

Virus and Malware Removal Forum:
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic58138.html

3. GerryO

GerryO TS Rookie Topic Starter

Alternate Data Streams Containing Files

Ok. As I'd prefer to not connect the problem computer to the internet, can I download all of the recommended programs and burn them to a cd using another computer, loosing any Alternate Data Streams information that may be required to run the files?

Or is it just a standard warning that accompanies writing any executible file to cd?

4. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,398   +169

1) You should be able to simply download and burn the programs to CD and
    2) Do check to assure that all the malware is gone

But also see this post and run the fix-it tool for XP to remove your Upper and Lower Filters for your disk drives

(and i understand the KB is about USB devices but still use the tool in it to remove your filters to see if that helps any)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.