TechSpot

XP Pro set up troubles

By Dr Nick
Sep 10, 2007
  1. All-

Sorry to be a newbie that joins and asks a question on the first day, but I've been going crazy for the past several days. So here goes . . .

I got all my pieces from newegg and everything went together alright. I installed XP and there were a handful of files that I had to skip over because they 'couldn't be copied.' I don't have the names with me right now, but I remember there was a 'modem.sys' and a couple other *.sys files.

But now I can't get the computer to connect to the internet or recognize any usb devices, among other things. If i click the 'Set up Network wizard' nothing will happen. I'll turn on the windows firewall (for now) and it'll have to activate the service. Then I can click and go through the wizard. But after a reboot the firewall and service are off.

I have a Core 2 Duo 3.0 Ghz Processor with a Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6. My video card is a EVGA GeForce 8800GTS. My RAM is mushkin DDR2 2 Gb. My HDD is a Western Digital SE16 500 Gb. I am trying to run XP Pro OEM, and I don't know if this OEM is causing me troubles or not.

I read on one website that faulty RAM could be my problem, another said a faulty HDD. I wanted to ask some people directly before I tried to RMA something.

I will give more details if necessary, but I felt the post was getting too long as it is. I understand if no one wants to help a new guy, but I will appreciate it if you do!

2. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,026

It would be most likely to be a bad RAM module. This can cause setup errors such as you describe. The various things that don't work will be a result of the missing files. If you have more than 1 module, you should try reinstalling with just one in place. I appreciate that this is a time consuming business, but it will prove a point and give you ammo for the RMA.
    The OEM copy of XP is on an undamaged original CD?

3. Dr Nick

Dr Nick TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, I am using a brand new OEM XP CD. I figured my problems did have something to do with the missing files. I considered trying to copy the missing files from another computer, but I don't really think that would solve the problem.

I will try to remove one of the RAM modules and reinstall Windows and see if that helps. This will take some time, but that's usually the case.

Thanks again,
    --Nick

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.