TechSpot

XP Pro - won't load login screen

By joesmith1806
Mar 7, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,
    Im using windows xp pro sp3, ive just recently had a trojan. I've used pctools internet security to get rid of it which it said it did. The next time i went to reboot after the xp loading screen my screen went black with a movable curser. Safe mode still works fine tho ive noticed system restore dosnt work! i choose a date to restore then go to click next but the next button dosn't respond.
    Ive looked around the web and tryed a few answers with no sucsess some of which were:

my loginui.exe may have been missing, (it wasnt) just to be safe a replaced it with a copy from a working xp pro machine.

I tryed to fix the "next" button in sys restore by making sure i had the right permissions in the sys registry. (i did but still the button dosnt work)

finally i tryed last known good configuration but still it did not load the login screen.

if any one could help shed some light on the problem i would most appreciate it =)

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,155   +34

It could be joe that you are still infected. This link is from our Virus and Malware forum: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic58138.html Please read the 8 steps carefully and follow the directions step by step as given. Then post over there.

The good thing is you can access Safe Mode which should allow you to complete the steps.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.