XP reinstall no cd.... ??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerboyce

:dead: :confused: :dead:

well after a power surge my PC's mobo got fried.

i bought a new one and installed succesfully and now need to repair windows so that i can actually use the pc..

only problem is that i wasnt provided with a XP (media center) cd when i bought this packard bell computer.

and i cant seem to find any recovery disk and im not even sure if i was provided with one..

i really cant afford to reformant the drives so two questions..

1. how the hell can i get windows on this pc?

2. withought losing any of the data..

thx guys

1. You need to buy a new version of Windows
2. Most of the time, you need to re-install windows after a motherboard replacement.

I hate computers too :D !

1. if PB didn't include one, you might be able to purchase or get one from the manufactuer provided you registered your equipment when you bought it.
2. if not, you'll have to buy a copy. In either case with a motherboard replacement you'll need to reinstall and register windows with micro$oft.

cfitzarl said:
1. You need to buy a new version of Windows
I hate computers too :D !
This is not correct. All major manufacturers will ship you a CD (at the cost of S/H). They no longer bundle them with the computers though, courtesy of Microsoft.

If you can't order a CD, you can get one elsewhere. It doesn't have to be a legitimate CD. On the side, top or back of your computer, you'll find a holographic Microsoft product key. Using this product key, you can legally use anyone's Media Center CD.

When you buy the software, you aren't paying for the CD. You are paying the for the license, which is the privalege to install, use and activate it. So, anyone else's Media Center CD will work for you, if you can get ahold of one. You should really try to get those CDs from HP though, because their recovery software includes all of your original applications, settings and drivers.

Yes, but he replaced his motherboard, making it no longer a Packard Bell computer, right?

ok sounds good but will i lose my files as the problem is is that it is my office/media pc containging ALL my data on office stuff and grapihics/art

I didnt neceesarily replace the mobo as it is the EXACT same one as i didnt want an upgrade

Yes, but he replaced his motherboard, making it no longer a Packard Bell computer, right?

Microsoft recognizes an exception when reinstall is due to component failure like the mobo.

iss said:
Microsoft recognizes an exception when reinstall is due to component failure like the mobo.

I didn't think Microsoft was so compassionate ;)

qbawl said:
Doesn't your machine have a recovery partition built into the hdd?

Not sure but there 2x 250gb? (ithink250gb) seagates

and hopefully it wont make a difference and not have to revalidate as im going to bittorrent a copy

hmm not sure bout those bittorrent ones they look real dodgy. im going to try and ask around to see if anyone may have one..

bit torrents will work if you find the right one, that's how i got a copy of xp home to run a repair on a computer that i was fixing. That's the easiest route to go in my opinion. If not, then contact microsoft with your product key and purchase information. If that isn't good either, find a friend with the CD.

Techspot does not condone any form of piracy...it may be legal to download it, but it's illegal to use it.

tigerboyce said:
and hopefully it wont make a difference and not have to revalidate as im going to bittorrent a copy
This is a shady area... So let's not discuss this part of the topic here anymore. ;)

As long as you nab the same version you have a license for (eg. XP MCE, XP Pro OEM, XP Home Upgrade etc..), then I don't see the issue. But if you have XP MCE and you're going to use a hacked up version (or a different Windows XP such as Pro) that circumvents activation and uses a different product key... well, that IS in violation of the EULA and copyright...

You can repair your copy of Windows with any Windows CD, as it will not prompt you for a key.
Also check your PC case as you might have a Windows license key sticker. If you do, you could obtain a OEM version and re-install Windows using that key.

SO:

Me having Wndows Media center Ed. with my liscence..

can use a friends XP home ed..

to repair the windows..

Now will this actually work and will it make my pc xp home, not that im really bothered as the only thing i use in MCE is the nicer rounded cool blue taskbars and windows

You can try, but media center has some additional addon's that might make the job not work.

That would be the best option yes; the cheapest, no. I wish you luck :wave: ! Let's wait for some of the experts to come in and comment ;) .

Actully as of about 5 mins ago i am saved.

a good person from a different forum has agreed to send me his copy so i can borrow it to reinstall.

right version, plus i dont have to buy. thanks to him:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back