XP shuts down as soon as I logon

Status
Not open for further replies.
now this is my friend's laptop so the description is wat he gave me ,he thought he had some viruses,was already running an av,installed Bit Defender Total Security 2008 on top of that,ran bit defender,it quarentined some stuff,dont know wat as I wasnt there,now the problem is ..as soon as he logs on to winxp,instantly the screen saying "windows is shutting down" pops up and laptop powers down..tried going into safe mode but same problem,cant even stay logged on long enough to uninstall Bit Defender,shutdown is instantaneous...any help would b most appreciated...many thanks

Question: Did he do a full clean uninstall of his previous anti-virus and firewall before installing Bit Defender?

Also: Is there anyway you can boot into safe mode?

I have had corrupted memory do exactly the same behavior. Try running with only one stick. Then switch out and try it with the other.

krazy_kh said:
now this is my friend's laptop so the description is wat he gave me ,he thought he had some viruses,was already running an av,installed Bit Defender Total Security 2008 on top of that,ran bit defender,it quarentined some stuff,dont know wat as I wasnt there,now the problem is ..as soon as he logs on to winxp,instantly the screen saying "windows is shutting down" pops up and laptop powers down..tried going into safe mode but same problem,cant even stay logged on long enough to uninstall Bit Defender,shutdown is instantaneous...any help would b most appreciated...many thanks

didnt uninstall anything..he is noobier than I,and its a laptop so switching ram might not b that easy :(

Switching out RAM is not that difficult. Go to the manufacturer's website and search for his particular model. They should have a manual online that will tell you where the RAM is located and how to remove/install.

You'll need a very small phillips head screwdriver.

If you can't do it I am sure there is someone you know who can.

As for booting into safe mode press F8 as it is booting up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back