XP SP2 access denied error

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a gateway windows xp pc that will load the operating system but after I have logged in there are services that are not startings.
I have no task bar at the bottom of the screen.
When I right click on my computer and go to manage and services the expanded service list will not show. I click on the standard list and the RPC service will not start.I get an Access denied error. I am logged in as admin so I should have access to everything. I have tried to copy the RpcSs reg file from another xp pc but that still didnt fix the problem.I have never come across this problem before and I am not sure what to do at this point. Any advise would be great.
thanks
techie

I am not clear exactly what you mean by 'load the operating system' ? I assume you mean it will boot, but then show the faults you describe. The more unlikely alternative is you are describing the process of initial install of the operating system, which if that is the case, has not installed correctly.

If it is the former, there are a lot of further questions we would need answering, such as

Did the PC work correctly before?
What service pack is XP at? You say SP2, but that is now hopelessly out of date, and further updates from MS can no longer be expected to 'play well' with it. Not to mention updates of third-party applications and games.
If the fault suddenly developed, what did you do immediately before?

The answer to your problem most likely depends upon the answer to the last question, and can include virus infection, improperly installed anti-virus, hardware fault and many other things. Please expand your question.

What service pack is XP at? You say SP2, but that is now hopelessly out of date, and further updates from MS can no longer be expected to 'play well' with it. Not to mention updates of third-party applications and games.
If the fault suddenly developed, what did you do immediately before?
hmm; I'm still on SP2 and all fixes still apply and 'play well with others'.

To my understanding, there was no new functionality in SP3 and it was just an accumulation of know fixes at a point in time such that anyone current on SP2 had no need to apply SP3 at all.

If anyone has documentation contrary to that opinion, please provide a reference for the community -- thanks :)

xp sp2 service.msc error

Ok. Here is what is going on... I have never seen this happen before. I am logged into my Windows XP Operating system desktop. I can see all of my icons I can click on to internet explorer and surf the web. I can get into control panel and add remove programs. What i am not able to do is unistall applications under add remove programs. I also cannot transfer files from my desktop to my external usb drive. When I right click on my computer and click on manage I can see the event logs but I cannot double click them for more information.

I believe this all started when i got a blue screen with an Initilization failure error message. I took the hard drive out of the cpu and ran a check disk on the drive. Everything ran through fine so I put the drive back and started the pc. After that the operating system loaded and I had my desktop and icons back but could not open IE. So as a quick fix i thought I would just remove IE and reinstall it. So I went into add remove programs and windows components and removed IE. This is when all my problems started. I have since then installed IE back onto the desktop but I am still having the problems listed above.

I think all of this is because of my services.msc. I can open services but cannot see the extended service and the standard services will not start properly. the main one I am concerned about is RPC. When I try to start this service I get an Error 5: Access Denied message.

I am send a screen shot and the list of the extended services and the standard services. I could really use some help. I have tried everything I can think of to get things back to normal but so far no luck.

thanks
techie2009

You will likely need to cold boot to the CD or OS that was originally used to install Windows, and run Windows in Repair Mode to patch your system... read up on www.microsoft.com on a repair install as it is too long to describe here. Print out all the instructions so you have them handy.

This repair install will likely restore Windows to functionality... if it is not a problem with the drive being too old and wearing out with bad sectors.

I know this is probably a silly questions. But I was wonding if I could copy the services.msc file from another pc and then replace the corrupted one with the new one. Is that even possible?
I have another working windows xp pro pc is there anyway to just replace files instead of running the restore.

thanks
techie

Not as effectively done...
The restore using the Windows disk does NOT damage or wipe out anything on your exisiting install. It simply repairs the existing install... and is really the most simple way to fix it.

For a simpe trial, you could go to Start->Run and enter Chkdsk /r to fix the install, but it cannot retrieve files that are needed from the Windows disk... Chkdsk /r will await your rebooting the system, than will take anywhere from 1/2 hour to two hours to run... It will patch what it can, and report to you on what it finds that it cannot fix.

I know this is probably a silly questions. But I was wonding if I could copy the services.msc file from another pc and then replace the corrupted one with the new one. Is that even possible?
I have another working windows xp pro pc is there anyway to just replace files instead of running the restore.

thanks
techie

No. Copying services.msc will definitely not work (for one thing, that's simply the interface that displays all your services, it doesn't define them)

1) Try a System Restore. See if you can go back to a restore point where all the service settings ar OK
2) Do a Windows repair install (requires you have your XP installation CDs)

requested reference per Jobeard

hmm; I'm still on SP2 and all fixes still apply and 'play well with others'.

To my understanding, there was no new functionality in SP3 and it was just an accumulation of know fixes at a point in time such that anyone current on SP2 had no need to apply SP3 at all.

If anyone has documentation contrary to that opinion, please provide a reference for the community -- thanks :)

"The clock is ticking for Windows XP SP2, as contributing editor Susan Bradley explained in her Dec. 17, 2009, Patch Watch column (paid content). As of next July, Microsoft will provide security updates only for XP SP3. Carl Spencer highlights one precaution some XP users need to take before applying Service Pack 3:" Windows Secrets Newsletter • Issue 227 • 2010-01-14

http://www.windowssecrets.com/2009/12/17/07-XP-users-will-soon-need-SP3-but-be-wary-of-IE-8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back