XP SP2 pagefile on FAT32 drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it OK to swap XP (F Drive) to my 98SE (C Drive)?
Does it matter that one is NFTS and the other is FAT32?

I have read here at TechSpot that it is best to place the pagefile on a drive not used by the OS.

If so... could I configure the 98 Drive to swap out to the XP Drive?
I have a dual-boot system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

That should work fine. Do you know how to move your swap file or do you need help with it?

Thank-you.

Yes, I know how to assign the swap.
My only problem is that when I boot to the 98 drive, it doesn't see the F drive.

When I boot to the XP drive, it sees all the disks, but for some reason, not the other way around.

In light of this, should I create a very large swap on the C drive, for both OS's to use?

You don't see F: because Windows 98 does not support NTFS out of the box. You would have to buy a special driver or that.

Yes, you could have a shared swapfile on C: and you don't have to make it huge. Both XP and 98 will just happily overwrite the stuff that the other OS has put there. It would be a good idea to set the size manually in both 98 and XP so they wouldn't fight over growing and shrinking the thing.

Thank-you all so much.
This is a very knowledgeable, and responsive forum.

My first day here. Quite impressed.
I'll spread the word. :)

Only "Quite impressed", im insulted. :D only joking :D

We aim to please and im glad to have been of service.

Please do tell all your friends, the more the merrier.:)

How big is the 98 drive? If it is something small (less than 20 gigs would be bad, less than 60 is almost as bad) it probably isn't worth doing. The reason is even if the OS and the pagefile are on the same drive, I think it will still be faster if you are comparing a new drive to an old one. Basically that old 20 gig drive you have left isn't going to allow as fast of read/writes to it as the new drive, even if the new drive is doing some other work at the same time.

Although that is just my thinking, I don't have any benchmarks or articles to back me up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back