XP Start-up freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
19 out of 20 start-ups, I will get the windows screen going and then the progress dots stop, and then nothing.

- I dont have a video card
- I've unplugged any non essentials (printer, camera dock etc...)
- defragged the HD
- completed a scan disc
- did a virus and spyware check

...and the same thing happens, One day my computer will work and the next it does the freeze thing

Any ideas?

I downloaded the memtest.zip from the website, unzipped it, but when I tried to write it to a floppy, no matter what I did I... I kept getting an ERROR indicating that it wouldn't fit on the floppy.

I then tried to write to a CD but the file was a '.img' file type and instead of opening it in Magic ISO Paint Shop Pro kept opening. So, I gave up.

I found a couple of 256 Mb of RAM, and ran the floppy XP Repair disk. Besides from being slow from only running a 1/2 Gig of RAM, It did not freeze up all day yesterday.

Do you have any other thoughts about the MemTest program?

What are your thoughts about reinstalling the 1 Gb sticks back in to double check them?

First, can you boot consistently to Safe Mode?

Next, you said you ran Scandisk but did you try a "chkdsk /r"?

Repost with info pls.

Best,
-- Andy

Safe mode- yes it will everytime
ran "%temp%"
chkdsk- yes
defragged
bitdefender 2008 Internet Defender version, full scan

Another thing I noticed lately was that on the occasion that it did boot correctly, I would get the blue screen w/ the XP logo in the upper right corner and the "please wait ..........."
What is really strange is that is happening to 2 of the desktops (XP Home) and a new Sager laptop (XP Pro).

I noticed on another reply, someone asked the model of monitor. It is an Acer 1714. But It was also doing the same Freeze upon starup with a 19" Samsung and the original HP monitor.

The video graphics are on board the Asus 553x MoBo (486 P4 CPU)

Sorry, is the info to vague?

... What is really strange is that is happening to 2 of the desktops (XP Home) and a new Sager laptop (XP Pro)....

BINGO!! You have either spyware or virus (more likely spyware)

Download/install/run the following anti-virus/spyware utilities (click on the name to get the TechSpot download page):

Repost if you still experience problems.

Sorry, is the info to vague?
Not at all!!

Best,
-- Andy

As I wrote to another TS member earlier today, this is an open forum. Therefore, anyone can post any suggestions they want. Just make sure it's on topic and makes some sense. Arguing one anti-spyware utility is superior to another is really a matter of opinion.

Case in point, I am a professional computer technician. In my experience, the 3 anti-spyware utilities I recommend are highly effective. 80% of my business is removing spyware from persons computers and I am very good at it (90+% success rate!)

Just because TechSpot has a guide on it for removing spyware doesn't mean everyone has to use it or recommend it. I can recommend my own as this is an open forum.

Best,
-- Andy

Please argue the 3 week testing and many members posts, and information sourced from other forums, to Julio

On TechSpot we ask members to follow the removal proceedure FIRST

Then try other alternatives (mind you, we have never said those 3 you mentioned, since the guide was updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back