XP start up problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
While surfing the web, my computer hangs and the screen keeps blinking. So i manually restart the computer, but the screen when you just start up the computer, the one where its all black and you see the manufacturer or something. The thing is that everything is messed up. Theres a whole lot of "!" on it and the spelling is messed up too. (nvdia becomes ovdia etc). I tried running in normal mode and after the loading screen, it just go to a black screen and windows wont load. I tried several things such as reverting to last good configuration but no luck. However, after much restarts i finally am able to start my computer again. But after few hours of usage, while playing a video game, my computer hangs and the screen keeps blinking. And now no matter how much i restart it wont work. I have no idea what to do so ANY help would be appreciated

EDIT : i can run in VGA mode but i just cant run in normal mode. Also, after waiting for sometime after the black screen, a somewhat distorted image of the welcome screen(?) appeared.

Hardware issues are always difficult to render a quick fix. On the surface, it sounds like a bad video card. Those can create all sorts of issues, such as sudden freezing, flickering and shutting down. I would make sure you have the latest driver for the video card. Go to the manufactures website and download the latest. If that doesn't work and you still have the problem, you may want to replace the card. Let us know how you make out.

Reno has a point with the graphic cards they can cause alot of problems when they go wrong.

just to make sure lets go over the basics:

checking cables (im sure you did)
changing the wire (the monitor wire)
do you have a spare monitor to determine if the one you use is faulty

the monitor might be on the way out and the fps (frames per second) could be low and might be causing the screen to go black and go out of sync with the card.

This is clearly a hardware issue, mostly like your VGA card is flacking out. Go to the computer store have them swap in a known good one. If that clears up the problem, then you need a new VGA card.

Best,
-- Andy

I had the same problem some time ago.... make sure u have ALL of your hardware correctly AND FIRMLY connected. My problem was that some of the cables were loose.

This seems to be big problem with you hardware inside you PC mainly the Graphic Card but can't be sure with little info like that.

1) Try to check if everything is well connected.

2) For not making any mistake go to a technician and ask for a check-up of the PC and when he will be done he will ask you the problem where it come and what should be change. Like that you're sure not making a lot of expenditure for something that was still good in your PC. Then you change that the technician ask that is bad and he will do it for you.

I'm sure it may be the graphic card...

hxxp://img227.imageshack.us/img227/6672/image000ly4.jpg
hxxp://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image003oa4.jpg
hxxp://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image004ij4.jpg

Here are some pictures i took with my cellphone, replace the xx with tt

I have checked the wires and connections.
I don't have an extra monitor to test if my current one is faulty

This seem to be a problem with you Graphic card. Try that Kimsland ask you to do and if the results show no problem for the RAM then you should change the Graphic Card.

wow I may know about this one..

Hi Ken:

this is going to sound too easy or like it doesn't matter but lets try anyway..

what type of Monitor do you have?? is it a ViewSonic??

If it is I think I can help you..

see Viewsonic Monitors have a known glitch that just frustrates all of us who own them.. all of a sudden things just don't look right and when you reboot windows won't boot to a digital screen.. you can get VGA but no digital..

Here's how to fix it... turn off you comp and then unplug your monitor from the power source.. do not boot your comp.. walk away for 10 minutes.. then plug in your monitor and after that turn you comp back on... it should start and work normally again...

I go through this about 2 times a week and Viewsonic admits the issue but still sells their product... I hope this helps...

Twiggy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back