XP State file cannot be read

By mischievous_neo
Mar 5, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hi...while starting windows xp sp2 i get the error that ...State File cannot be read...exiting.....i think its the file that scandisk checks in order to determine whether to run a scan or not..please help me fix the problem...it happened after a power failure
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

3. mischievous_neo

mischievous_neo Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

hi...tried it but i only have 3 things starting up...nod32, ctfmon.exe and cfi shelltoys xp...none of those seem to be the problem....am not sure what file the OS reads in order to determine the state of the system while starting up
  4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,029   +222

fyi:
    chkdsk examines a BIT (the dirty bit) in the filesystem structure, not a State File

in fact, this is a primary operation on all journaling filesystems today (eg Linux) to enhance boot time performance :)
  6. mischievous_neo

hi thanx for the replies...Jobeard is right...chkdsk does check a dirty bit....scandisk is working fine cauz when the comp hung and i restarted it ran scandisk for all drives...its just that i see that error msg...dunno if it affects the system in any way...if it doesnt i guess i could live with it
  7. surendra

surendra Newcomer, in training

click on start -> run -> msconfig -> startup -> uncheck --> nod32 / ctfmon.exe or others and restart pc then no problem found.
  8. mischievous_neo

tried that it dint solve the problem...the exact message is "Failed to read state file...Exiting"
  9. mischievous_neo

hi i just updated Raxco Perfectdisk and the error seems to have gone....guess thats wat was causing it..thanx for the replies
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.