TechSpot

Xp system restore doesn't work!

By kiyhkuj
Nov 25, 2007
  1. hi there. i've been out 4 a while cause i formatted my drive and installed clean copy of win xp. recently, after i done a system restore to roll back on some problems wid my antivirus software, it worked for first time but then i decided that it was the wrong date and chose another restore point. the computer failed to restore and i tried lots of different other restore points...but no luck! PLZ HELP!

2. Po`Girl

Po`Girl TS Rookie Posts: 668

First find out whether the restore points have really gone.

Look in the (hidden) folder C:\\System Volume Information See HERE

Each restore point is in a folder named RP *** If there is only one RP folder,

that means all the others have been deleted..

To prevent it happening again,see HERE

3. kiyhkuj

kiyhkuj TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 125

thnx po girl i've fixed my prob. Thnx 4 ur reply anyway!

4. Daveskater

Daveskater Banned Posts: 2,031

Mind telling us how you fixed it, for future reference?

5. kiyhkuj

kiyhkuj TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 125

well there was a program (norton) i wanted 2 uninstall!! and it wouldn't go away with the uninstaller. so i decided to do a system restore to get rid of the program. But that didn't work so i just shredded the files with a secure shredder! Sorry i couldn't tell u how to fix sys restore because i don't really know how to!

6. Daveskater

Daveskater Banned Posts: 2,031

There is also a program called Norton Removal Tool to get rid of Norton. I think you can download it from out Downloads section (link at the top of every page)

System restore won't uninstall a program, either, it restores your pc to the state it was in at the specified date but it does not delete files.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.