xp will not boot, safe mode or normal

Status
Not open for further replies.

magiclight

hi, windows wont boot in safe mode or normal. when i turn it on it starts to load up then i see BSOD and it shuts down before i can see what it says. i tried the system recovery that was built into the comp but theres a error when it gets to 50%-ish. if anyone is able to help let me know :)

magic

rec disk

guessed as much, just waiting for mesh (the company i bought the comp from) to send me the recovery disk. is there anything elce i can do before the disk arrives ?

You could check to make sure everything is seated properly... PCI cards, Graphics card, RAM, Power Cords to the drives, IDE/SATA cables.

You could also download and run Memtest86, which is free.

You could also download a Live linux distro (ubuntu seems to be a popular one) and see if that will run. This can help you determine if it is hardware related or just Windows that is the problem.

www.ubuntu.com or www.distrowatch.com

You don't have to use ubuntu, I just know for sure it has a live cd you can download so the entire OS runs off a CD. Some other flavors of linux also have live cds, for your purposes it doesn't really matter which 'brand' you choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back