TechSpot

xp will not boot, safe mode or normal

By magiclight
Jul 6, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hi, windows wont boot in safe mode or normal. when i turn it on it starts to load up then i see BSOD and it shuts down before i can see what it says. i tried the system recovery that was built into the comp but theres a error when it gets to 50%-ish. if anyone is able to help let me know :)

magic
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,525   +300

Provided you don't have failing hardware you are going to have to try to Repair Windows.
  3. magiclight

magiclight TS Member Topic Starter Posts: 67

rec disk

guessed as much, just waiting for mesh (the company i bought the comp from) to send me the recovery disk. is there anything elce i can do before the disk arrives ?
  4. SNGX1275

You could check to make sure everything is seated properly... PCI cards, Graphics card, RAM, Power Cords to the drives, IDE/SATA cables.

You could also download and run Memtest86, which is free.

You could also download a Live linux distro (ubuntu seems to be a popular one) and see if that will run. This can help you determine if it is hardware related or just Windows that is the problem.
  5. magiclight

ive checked everythings seated properly. can u tell me where i can download linux?
  6. SNGX1275

www.ubuntu.com or www.distrowatch.com

You don't have to use ubuntu, I just know for sure it has a live cd you can download so the entire OS runs off a CD. Some other flavors of linux also have live cds, for your purposes it doesn't really matter which 'brand' you choose.
  7. magiclight

thanks for the link, im downloading it now. ill make a post as on what happens.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.