XP will not start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

kep890

Hello,
My computer shut down on it's own and when I tried to restart it a black screen came up with different start up options. I have tried to "start Windows normally", in safe mode and the option of starting from the last known saved point.
Everytime I try to restart my Toshiba A75 laptop it begins to restart normally with the XP screen up and then will go back to the black screen with the restart options. It will do this about 5-6 times then it will shut itself off.

What is wrong here? How can this be fixed?

Thanks!

i think it's the virus problem or some system file is corrupted.So the best thing u can do is to repair ur OS .And if this won't work then try to reinstall OS.OK

I have one problem is that there is an important Word document that I need ASAP. Is there anyway to retrieve it? How do I go about repairing the OS?

Your hard drive may have gone bad. Can you get to the recovery function screen, when the laptop is booting? If not, insert a XP CD and boot the laptop from it. Follow the on-screen directions

The only screen I can get to is the black screen with white lettering telling me that I have the restart options of safe mode, safe mode with networking, start windows normally, and starting from the last saved point....

If I insert the CD and boot the laptop from it will I lose anything that is not backed up?

Thanks for the post CCT. I get tired explaining how to repair XP...

kep890,

just run Windows update after your XP is repaired

Thanks for the help! I'll let you know what happens later today when I leave work and I am able to follow your instructions.

Hello,
I was not able repair XP. Unfortunately my CD drive is broken. I have an external drive but the computer will not run the CD. By they way I was able to remove the hard drive and extract the Word doc I needed.

When I try start in safe mode it stops on this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\atisgkaf.sys

Corrupt/missing drivers - beg or borrow a working cd/dvd and install it and do the repair install as suggested earlier.

:)

Ok. I bought a new DVD drive and installed it. I am able to boot from a borrowed XP install disc. When I follow the steps it leads me this screen:

Windows XP Home Edition Setup

The following list shows the existing partitions and the unpartitioned space on this computer.

Use the UP and DOWN ARROW keys to select an item in the list.

To set up Windows XP on the selected item, press ENTER

To create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C

To delete the selected partition, press D.

76317 MB Disk 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]
C: Partition 1 [Unknown] 76317 MB < 76317 MB free >

What should I do???

If you are trying to get more files OFF of that drive, then it should be put into a working computer as a slave drive and then accessed from the working drive.

If you are trying a repair install, it sounds like Windows doesn't see that drive well - maybe someone else has an idea here but I think you can slave it or just reinstall - sorry!

all I want to do is fix the OS so it will start up. At the moment I am not trying to remove any files.

backup your important data?

You can achieve this by downloading a OS that can be run straight from a CD, like Knoppix, Ubuntu etc, or using a recovery cd utility like bart pe etc. Find one that supports USB drives and NTFS (if you use that) then hook a external hdd or flash drive to grab your stuff. That is, if your HDD isn't corrupted.

If you can't get into safe mode via that menu, then try going to Recovery Console and typing in sfc /scannow - its not as effective as a windows repair but worth a shot..

I had this exact same problem with my Toshiba A25 laptop. I had a bad RAM stick. Try taking out one of the RAM sticks and then restart. If that doesn't work put that one back in and take out the other one. This worked for me.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back