TechSpot

XP wont boot up? Help!!!

By good_2_go
Aug 2, 2007
  1. I had my computer running fine the other day but it froze up for a minute. then i shut it down. now when i try to boot it up it goes to the normal screen, beeps, it goes to the windows splash screen(screen with the xp logo and loading bar) then it goes black for 2 seconds and shuts down again, and does the same thing again. Anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong or how to fix it?
    Thanks.

2. wingnut13

wingnut13 TS Rookie Posts: 34

Try booting into Safe Mode.

3. good_2_go

good_2_go TS Rookie Topic Starter

i alreday tried and it did the same thing

4. wingnut13

wingnut13 TS Rookie Posts: 34

Might have a bad power supply, try unplugging everthing execpt the motherboard and the harddrive.

5. good_2_go

tried that and same thing happened again?

6. almcneil

almcneil TS Guru Posts: 1,554

Run a filesystem check. You need an XP installation CD. Boot to it and select Recovery Console. Login and type "chkdsk /r". It should take betwen 20 to 40 minutes. Then see if you can boot.

Sounds like your filesystem got corrupted when the system suddenly froze and crashed. If you get it running again, make sure you check for spyware. I recommend using the following 3 anti-spyware utilities:

All are free.

7. good_2_go

yup, that fixed her.
    Thanks for your help!!

8. almcneil

almcneil TS Guru Posts: 1,554

Yer welcome! Seen this problem too many times!! :D

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.