xp wont boot up

By zenkar
May 2, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok so when I turn the pc on I cant even get to the XP logo. after the bios loads and all I get a black screen. I thought my raptor HD died.::cry:: But I was able to back it up on my brothers PC and it seemed fine.

So I ran the recovery xp disks (the 6 disks) and after I hit R and chose the drive it blue screened. Next I tried the boot disk with ntdlr,boot.ini and ntdetect.com and when booting it gave me: The root>system32\hal.dll file is missing or corrupt.

tried adding that file from another xp machine to the boot disk but it didnt work.

Now I dont know what else to do and I really dont have any cd's ect to reinstall... :confused:

BTW: I cant even get to the safe mode, last known good config screen
  2. zenkar

zenkar Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

3. Da_g33k

Da_g33k Newcomer, in training

this maybe a long way round but i know of no others, get hold of a formatting program eg: killdisk. this will erase all data on you hard drive basically it will be like when you get it from the shops. after you have formatted your drive (this will take a while), just try re-installing windows, this should solve your problem.

g33k.

**edited found some more info*
    i was searching around, found out that XP has a handy little rebuild command heres the link http://www.compphix.com/corrupthal.html
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,354   +302

if you reformat, you will still need the HAL.dll -- this is a vendor specific file.
    if you have the OEM recovery disk, you should find a copy on it.

My problems were different, but the need to avoid a reformat was important to
    me.

See this post for a summary of how I got access to the HD
  5. CCT

CCT TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,556

You can force a Hal change by inserting the XP disk and booting from the cd - when the screen asks if you want to press F6, press F5 instead - after a few seconds you will come to a screen to select your Hal - helps to know what it should be before hand. Then carry on to a repair Install.

If that cpu you have is a dual or hyper core, then you probably have an ACPI Multiprocessor cpu - if it is a single processor, then you likely have an ACPI Unprocessor cpu.

However, check into that.

:)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.