XP won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajohnson3819

So recently I decided to restart my computer after installing the Daemon Tools program for mounting ISO's. Upon restarting I found that my computer would load past the Manufacturer's Screen except a brief view at the boot options (Safe Mode etc.) before the computer would restart again. This would continue indefinitely.

So what I've done to remedy this is to create a Windows XP Bootdisk on a Flash Drive which works splendidly, yet I know this is only a temporary fix. I'm wondering if there is any permanent fix to my PC itself.

Things I know so far:
-Daemon Tools installs a new Disk driver
-This could mean a problem with drivers?​
-The OS does not start without a flashdrive containing the i386 folder and other required files.
-My computer does not have an i386 folder in the C:\ directory
-FIXMBR and FIXBOOT commands in the Recovery Console have been tried twice already with no results.

I feel like I've exhausted all of my own knowledge on the subject so I'm asking for a little assistance.

I have a booting problem on a 7 year old IBM Think Pad.
The Windows comes up,tells me to start with 5 options(Safe Mode,Last
start etc.) and when I click the line,tells me it is shutting off for my protection
and loops around and comes back to the starting options page.
Has anyone had this experience.Please let me know how to get this booted up

@kalsun: please create your own thread so you can get clear diagnosis information

can you boot Safe Mode (w/o the stick) and run SFC /SCANNOW ?

The screen that allows the option of Safe Mode only appears momentarily (1-2 seconds) before the computer restarts once again. So, I believe the answer is no. I am on the computer right now, without the stick in because the stick is only required up until I physically log in. So if what you're suggesting can be done outside of Safe Mode, then yes I can.

hmm; run->eventvwr.msc and look for ERRORS in the system events.

The system reboots because
  • there's a failure in system service
  • and the config allows REBOOT
when you find the service that is failing run->services.msc (using Admin)
dbl-click the service name
click the Recovery Tab
set all three failure modes to Take No Action
and then click OK

reboot and wait for the next event

Ok, I checked under the "System" Submenu for ERROR's and there are 3 pertaining to just around the time I restarted my computer today. The one that struck me as odd was

"The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: Beep".

I have no clue what this means. The other two were

"The ScreenCamera HR service failed to start due to the following error: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it."

and

"The Automatic Updates service terminated with the following error: The specified module could not be found. "

That's what I've done so far, but when I tried to find the services that correspond to the ERRORs, none of the ones I found in the Event Log show up. "Beep" for example was not on the list.

"The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: Beep".
leave the stick mounted & get a command prompt (run->cmd)
assuming the stick is DL G:\
g:\
cd I386
expand beep.sy_ c:\windows\system32\drivers\beep.sys

I have no clue what this means. The other two were

"The ScreenCamera HR service failed to start due to the following error: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it."
run->services.msc
find the ScreenCamera HR
set the startup to DISABLE for now​
and

"The Automatic Updates service terminated with the following error: The specified module could not be found. "
set it DISABLED for now too.

system should boot clean again and then we can resolve WHY

Ok, I did everything mentioned except for the ScreenCamera HR bit because I can't find that anywhere in the services list. XP wouldn't start, once again, without the aid of the Flash Drive. The "Beep" error is no longer occurring, nor is the automatic update one. The only errors left are:

Service 'WMPNetworkSvc' did not start correctly because QueryService encountered error '0x80004002'. In Windows Media Player, turn off media sharing, and then turn it back on.

and

The ScreenCamera HR service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

The only errors left are:

Service 'WMPNetworkSvc' did not start correctly because QueryService encountered error '0x80004002'. In Windows Media Player, turn off media sharing, and then turn it back on.
Windows Media Player issue;
diable or uninstall it - - we can always download another copy
and

The ScreenCamera HR service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
is this one of these?
Disable or Uninstall it too and we'll deal with it later too ...

I dealt with the Windows Media Player issue (I hope), but I honestly have no clue where this ScreenCamera HR error is coming from. I believe I downloaded it in order to stream my desktop/monitor through video chat, but I am positive I uninstalled it. I did a search for it, twice, and manually searched for it through various folders, but to no avail.

ok - - -

download Spybot S&D and install it

run from Admin
don't bother to run update just yet

on the menu bar: Mode->Advanced
click Tools on the left
click System Startups (if missing, on the right [x] System Startups)
you get a list of
[x] HK_LM:Run Value Command line​
look for the ScreenCamera in the Value or Command Line columns

if found, clear [ ] the box in front of it and then click the top window X close button

reboot *if* ScreenCamera was found

ScreenCamera wasn't found, but I did find something very interesting the last time I started up my computer. Without the flashdrive, when it gets to the Boot Options screen asking whether or not I want to start in safe mode, it flashes "NTDETECT FAILED" just before restarting the computer. This seemed vital, so I tried using command prompt to copy NTDETECT.COM to my C:\ drive, which worked, but the restart still failed without the use of a FLash Drive.

interesting. The following *must* be located in the root of the boot HD (typically C:\ )
  1. Ntdetect.com
  2. NTLDR (notice, no extension on the name)
  3. boot.ini

there's a (should be) duplicate of Ntdetect.com in the \Windows\Driver Cache\i386
which says your stick\i386 will have one too or Ntdetect.co_ which can be expanded like before

the Boot.ini is critical, but also trivial to configure
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /noexecute=optout

With all (3) of the above located correctly, you should boot ok. I would have suggested
running fixmbr followed by fixboot but that is unlikely to do much as
The boot strap loader takes the control over the booting process and loads NTLDR. Ntdetect.com is invoked by NTLDR,
and returns the information it gathers to NTLDR when finished, so that it can then be passed on to Ntoskrnl.exe,
the Windows kernel.
so you're already getting to NTLDR via the MBR settings

you will need your original CD, but suggest you run SFC /SCANNOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back