XP won't install after formatting hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello and t/u for taking time out to review this.
i was surfing the web and discovered, what i thought was to be, a minor problem.
tried to use my norton antivirus 2009, and it wouldn't execute.
tried to use scan disk in tools and it didn't work
I disconnected dsl, disabled my windows security settings and tried system restore, and it wouldn't respond after cliking next.
I used my xp cd for repair and chkdsk /p /r. Still had the same problems.
after backing up some files i decided to reformat my hardrive.
when reinstalling xp, i arrived at the blue terms and condition screen.
pressed f8 for agree and nothin happens from there.
i called xp tech support, and was told that my hkey files were corrupted and they were to be manually repaired.

is this a problem that u could easily walk me through, or do u recommend that i take there advice and pay for them to fix my problem remotly?
pleeeease help!

I used my xp cd for repair
The registry area is quite involved, as you can tell from RonS WIN TEAM post link.

It may be better just to install Windows clean, here's howto ;)

Microsoft's Windows XP Professional Repair Install step by step (* Including Delete Partition)
http://www.windowsxpprofessional.windowsreinstall.com/sp2sp3installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

Microsoft's Windows XP Home Repair Install step by step (* Including Delete Partition)
http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/sp2sp3installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

* Warning deleting the Partition will remove all User data and Windows system files

I checked out the registry info, but it only helps if xp is already on the computer. The problem is that I already formatted my hard drive to do a clean install of the os, and when I get to the blue licence screen to press f8 to agree with terms, nothing happens. know I am stuck with a blank hard disk and unable to complete install of the os. Tech support says that nothing is wrong with the hardware. they say it can be manually repaired by their services for a large sum of money. What files are on the hd that that can be corrupted if there isn't any os on the hd?

Did you follow the links I posted above about removing the Partition, and not formatting as such?

If so then it may need a Hard Drive controller driver, found from your manufacture support driver page
Once you have this driver, when Windows is installing for the first time you press F6 button when requested (just watch for this prompt in lower part of the screen) and then browse to your Hard Drive controller driver (which can be put on a burnt CD or even a floppy disk)

You may need to tell us your system specs:
Computer Manufacture and Model number?
Specifically which Windows version you are installing, XP what? Service Pack what?
Amount of Ram installed (I ask this one because, I have found that many users update their Ram, which may cause difficulties when installing Windows again one day)
Any further specifications that may help to diagnose the Windows install issue

I feel it may still be the partition issue as this is still a bit gray if it has been completed (removed) or not.

xp installation problem discovered

I could just kick myself. After surfing the web for over 24 hrs of my day off, I finally narrowed the search with the phrase "f8 problems with xp license agreement".
The problem was with the type of keyboard I was using. I have a wireless k/b and mouse with usb receiver. I switched it with a regular k/b and the install is working fine know. I really appreciate the lesson on hkey files. I can use the knowledge in the future, because I think that was my original problem in the first place. I can speak for all when I say that some of the windows tech support reps are loyal theives. After explaining my probs to the rep, I was given alot of tech jargon and a price of $70 to fix them remotely. His info had me going in circles. Thanks techspot, Your site has some sofetware I can use when I boot my compture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back