XP won't load up

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie61

When I turn the computer on all that loads up is the Compaq screen and it won't go past that point. Before this happened the screen would change colors at random. Any ideas on correcting this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Hi kimsland,

I tried the power down test and it did not work. When the computer comes on it goes to the Compaq screen and then goes to a blank screen with a flashing cursor in the top left corner of the screen. I can't get into safe mode or do anything at that point.

Thanks,
Charlie

It could be faulty Ram, just try reseating the Ram first (remove, blow out any dust, insert)
or even faulty Hard drive or internal cables (if PC)

sounds to me like either faulty ram or mother board... try taking all but one stick of ram out, then switch them out every time it doesn't work untill you have tested each stick. If that works, then it was just ram... if not i'm afraid it's probably more serious. First though, try to put your OS disk in and reformat and see if that will correct the problem, then if not get into your bios (if you can) and try to see if it is recognizing your hard drive. If none of that works then you probably have a bad motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back