XP won't recognize built in components after reinstall

I recently bought a secondhand dell precision workstation 380 with XP installed, but it still had some programs left from the last owner. Of course, I re-installed XP just to get a clean start. Before I did this, the drivers for all components worked fine, but after the re-install, windows wouldn't even recognize its built-in ethernet controller.

Mostly, I'm having trouble finding drivers that actually work for what they say they work for. I have a built in AC '97 integrated audio card, an ATI x3000 video card, and a Hauppauge WinTV-D. The device manager just shows a generic name for these parts, and the Video card shows two parts: Video contoller, and video controller (VGA compatible).

Please help if you know anything about these or how to fix this problem.

Thanks

1. Have you also reinstalled the chipset drivers
2. You don't have AC97 sound. It looks like you have Hi Def sound. Take a read starting with this post [post=1084380]HERE[/post]. Do you have SP3 installed?
3. Is that ATI an addon card? try the ATI website for drivers

I reinstalled the chipset drivers from intel, I have no clue what SP3 is, and the ATI is an addon card. it's PCI, and I tried to get the drivers from ATI, but the ones that say they work with my card on the website, don't on my computer.

I can take a closer look at the audio and ethernet controller issue if you run these 2 reports. Also, you might try Driver Identifier to see what it might find.

List any Problem Devices
  • Make sure devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag and click OK
    ===> If you’re on a 32bit computer, dxdiag will launch on its own
    ===> If you’re on a 64bit computer, you’ll see 64-bit DxDiag. Click it to launch dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot window, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

Back