XP won't start after update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkeyed

Hi

A few days ago I got a problem with my computer. When I try to start windows xp 32bit on it, it simply restarts with no error code or anything. I have it setup with multi boot running xp 32bit, xp 64bit and vista 64bit.

Both xp 64bit and vista works fine so I don’t think it’s a hardware problem, but here’s my setup anyway:

Asus p5k – e wifi ap
Intel quad Q6600
4 GB RAM 800 MHz
Geforce 8800GT
3 x 1TB hard drives (spinpoint F1), 2 of them in raid 0. The operating systems are on the raid.
Corsair VX550W PSU

The problem appeared right after windows updated. I set the computer to shut down when I went to sleep and it applied updates, the next day xp wouldn’t start and instead restarts the computer. The same thing happens if I try safe mode and also if I try disabling restart upon critical error. No error code, nothing :(.

I am afraid that a normal repair from the cd will mess up my multi boot with vista, anyone have experience with that? As I said I can log on to xp 64 bit and vista to have a look at the files on the xp 32 bit partition, it seems fine, but then again I don’t really know what to look for. Any ideas what I can do?

Thank you

Hawkeyed

I am afraid that a normal repair from the cd will mess up my multi boot with vista
That's a reasonable comment
To extend on this a little. You should also create external backups of any user data you may have.

Regarding Xp not starting and how to fix it. (Being in Raid as well !)

Other than running a Checkdisk (can be run in Vista, following this Howto)
I feel that your best option is Repair

Well, finally took the time to run a repair install.

It went smooth and didn't even take that long. :)

I used VistaBootPro 3.3 to reinstall the vista boot loader and all 3 operating systems are working fine again.

Still don't know what caused it to mess up, and ill probably never figure it out :confused::)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back