XPPRO not detecting usb hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have reformatted my computer (xp pro) a couple times and am having problems installing my usb devices (printer and mp3 player). My mouse is usb and it works, but when I plug in my printer or mp3 player my computer gets really slow but nothing is detected. I have installed the drivers manually but still nothing. All advice is appreciated! Thanks.

Check Device Mangager

Did you check in device manager under universal serial bus controllers? See what it lists in there. Also, did you try to plug your mouse into a different usb port and plug in the printer into the one the mouse was in. See if that works

goofy usb ports

Believe it or not, not all USB ports on the system are equal; there's an A style and a B style. One is less functional than the other.

For example on my laptop, the port on the right side works well for the mouse and the mouse works everywhere else too. However, my USB Flash Drive ONLY works on the ports on the backside of the laptop.

Also have the device plugged-in BEFORE you boot the system, which allows auto discovery and configuration to run.

Still not working....

ok, the mouse works in any of the ports but when i unplug it i have to restart the computer before it will work again. Also, if i put my computer in sleep mode the mouse quits working and i have to restart it. Well, i'm going to reformat again and set up raid in a few days, any suggestions for the usb problem during windows setup? Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back