Yahoo and Microsoft artificially pad their search shares

By Matthew
Jun 11, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ComScore has released its May 2010 US Search Data report showing upward trends for both Bing and Yahoo, while Google supposedly lost a bit of share during April – but that's not entirely accurate. According to the research outfit, Yahoo and Microsoft are fudging the numbers by including links on their sites that are search queries disguised as content.

Read the whole story
  2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,319   +370

LOL.... NO! For real? :p

Reminds me of when Facebook proudly announces that they have umpteen million users but conveniently neglect to mention that a huge portion of those are "surrogate" accounts. One of my work buddy's daughter has NINETEEN Facebook accounts.
  3. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,042   +84 Staff Member

What does one do with a dozen and a half Facebook accounts? :/ I imagine they're largely unused?
  4. Timonius

Timonius TechSpot Booster Posts: 573   +31

Reminds me of website usage statistics: Hits vs Visits vs Unique Visitors, etc.
  5. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,867   +74

TwoFacebook....

Alternate identities and aliases ya know? so you can be a 'playa'.....just what I've heard, I'm just sayin.
    :rolleyes:
  6. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,319   +370

What red1776. According to my co-worker, she uses one account for Farmville. Another one for Mafia Wars. Another one for "just close" friends." Another for "sometime friends." One "just for family." And on and on and on.

(shrugs) Hard to explain how a teenage girl's mind works. :p
  7. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,867   +74

I know Tom, I really do not understand the over the top appeal of the FB/MySpace thing....but I'm old so what do I know?
    as far as the teenage girls mind, it starts even younger than that. I have a very sophisticated 10 year old, and when she is filling me in on the latest hip news, I can often be seen looking like a dog seeing a ceiling fan for the first time.
  8. tengeta

tengeta TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 632

Yeah, I'm totally sure Google and other search engines aren't guilty of this... hah.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.