Yahoo and Microsoft finally reaching a deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

After numerous failed attempts at striking a business deal, Microsoft and Yahoo are at it again, according to an All Things Digital report. It would seem several of Microsoft’s top execs have taken flight to Silicon Valley and are brushing shoulders with Yahoo’s finest. Redmond’s crew consists of Yusuf Mehdi, Satya Nadella, and Qi Lu – CEO Steve Ballmer is involved but not physically present.

The report claims that the two companies are very close to agreeing on a search and advertising deal. If you recall back to their interviews at the D: All Things Digital conference, Yahoo CEO Carol Bartz and Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer acknowledged that the two companies were in active discussion. Although Bartz said that she would sell if the price were right, Ballmer has expressed no recent interest in an outright acquisition.

Very few details are known about what’s really happening behind the scenes as the companies have mostly remained silent. It is suspected though, that Microsoft might pay Yahoo several billion dollars upfront to take over its search advertising business and guarantee certain payments back to Yahoo. Website 24/7 Wallstreet has reported that a deal is “imminent”.

Let’s hear your predictions, rants and conspiracy theories in the comments.

Permalink to story.

I think this would be a mistake by MS (not that they haven't had their fair share of mistakes). Yahoo is teetering on the brink of destruction - they remind of AOL back in the day. They were the big gorilla at one time, but were brought down pretty fast by more imaginative and efficient competitors. Yahoo's e-mail is crap, their web pages are loaded with annoying advertisements and their news pages are nothing "Hollywood Tonight" tabloid junk. I have a number of friends who were Yahoo junkies for years and have all switched to something else (mainly Google).

Think MS is trying to buy Yahoo! at just about the time it's going to take a major AOL-ish tumble.

+1 Tommy!

Though they aren't in as a sticky situation as AOL was, it makes little sense to buy them given the current economical climate.
MS has already sunk a lot of dough in Bing and it seems reasonably popular so far.

Its not a bad acquisition if MS has the money to throw around, although just about any price will be too much. More market and who knows maybe they can give it a serious face lift. But the name will pay for itself 3x, everyone knows it, its just as the user said above, full of Tabloid-ish junk.

The day Microsoft acquires Yahoo, will be the day I no longer use Yahoo and inform them to delete my two e-mail accounts with them.

I hate Microsoft and I have very good reason, but that's a long story.

I agree with the others. Yahoo is going the way of AOL. Only MS knows that they are doing,
and from here it doesn't make sense.
aldo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back