Yahoo cuts 140 workers, Google plans to hire 6,000

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Yahoo has dismissed some 1% of its workforce prior to releasing its fourth quarter financial results later today. This marks the second round of layoffs in six weeks, following a 4% (600+ person) reduction in December. The company hasn't mentioned an exact number of affected employees, but estimates suggest around 140.

"The personnel changes we are making are part of our ongoing strategy to best position Yahoo for revenue growth and margin expansion and to support our strategy to deliver differentiated products and experiences to the marketplace," Yahoo said in a statement. Similar reasons were cited in December's layoffs.

In contrasting news, Google has announced that 2011 will be its largest hiring year yet. The company plans to add more than 6,000 new workers, most which will be stationed at its Mountain View headquarters. The search giant also intends to pick up more than 1,000 new workers in Europe, including Munich, Germany.

Google expanded its personnel by 4,565 last year and it plans to employee more than 30,000 people by 2012. The company reported fourth-quarter revenue of $8.44 billion last week along with announcing that cofounder Larry Page will replace decade-long CEO Eric Schmidt, who will become Google's executive chariman.

Permalink to story.

Yeah, the only problem with that Leeky is the 6,000 they're hiring this year will be the 6,000 they'll be laying off in 4 years. It's all cyclical in the high-tech industry. Yahoo! was the top dog for a while, now they're scrambling to stay alive.

4 years suits me, I've been out of work since October 2009 thanks to being made redundant after a bad back injury.

If you told me tomorrow I could have a job but I'd be laid off in 4 years I'd take it. Being at home all the time is doing my head in! :haha:

Hopefully that'll change once I've finished my course and have a Cert in IT and Computing, and the following CCNA course should help me along, but I don't hold out much hope. lol.

I find the whole industry sort of frustrating as I know I could do the jobs, and learn really fast if I don't know, but without qualifications costing thousands you have absolutely no chance of even being considered.

"I find the whole industry sort of frustrating as I know I could do the jobs, and learn really fast if I don't know, but without qualifications costing thousands you have absolutely no chance of even being considered."

Yup - without the certifications, no one will look at you. Which is a bummer because I know several people who are very computer literate and qualified but don't have the certs so they don't get hired. And then I know of others who went through the certification process but are absolutely crap at their job.

Thats the ironic thing, having them doesn't make you good, it just means you had the required knowledge to pass the exams. The real world is very different, and it wouldn't surprise me if some uncertified people were actually better at it than some that are.

I'm having to do it the hard way, because £3000-5000+ is just impossible to train for MCSA or MCSE certs, which is a real shame. I might do it slightly differently though and go the CCNA, and then maybe A+/Linux+ routes instead, and hope I find an employer (and job) that'll pay for more.

I suppose one advantage is due to it being a hobby and passion at least I'm learning in the meantime, and one day I'll be able to put the knowledge to good use. :)

I just wish they would update their antispyware database on their CA Yahoo antispyware more often then they lay off people. They don't. Ah well, who needs it with adblock plus?

Your telling me Leeky, I paid £4000 for a training course here in the UK to get an MSCE, two months later the company goes into administration, and all I'm left with is an A+ IT Tech, and a £4k loan I'm still trying to pay off.

"Google expanded its personnel by 4,565 last year and it plans to employee more than 30,000 people by 2012." - I suppose you mean Google plans to have more than 30,000 employees by 2012.

Leeky said:
Thats the ironic thing, having them doesn't make you good, it just means you had the required knowledge to pass the exams. The real world is very different, and it wouldn't surprise me if some uncertified people were actually better at it than some that are.

I'm having to do it the hard way, because £3000-5000+ is just impossible to train for MCSA or MCSE certs, which is a real shame. I might do it slightly differently though and go the CCNA, and then maybe A+/Linux+ routes instead, and hope I find an employer (and job) that'll pay for more.

I suppose one advantage is due to it being a hobby and passion at least I'm learning in the meantime, and one day I'll be able to put the knowledge to good use. :)

I know how you feel Leeky, I live near London and I've been with a company called Complete-IT for the past 2 years 1 month and only yesterday was I told i'm being made redundant. If you live near Swindon or Peterborough though there are some Job openings going from them, they are a great company and they have paid for all my training and certs (A+, N+, CSNC, 70-680 Windows 7 Certification and I could easily get my Exchange 2003 and server 2003 (including AD) certs).

But now i'm in the same boat as you, finding another Job again :( Just to note btw i'm 18 years old ;)

I'm sorry to hear that mate, I can honestly say I know how you feel. :(

I live in Peterborough city though, so I might just fire a email off to them on the off-chance. Companies like these are hard to find locally - the jobs are more for support staff for employers rather than IT solutions companies.

Leeky said:
I'm sorry to hear that mate, I can honestly say I know how you feel. :(

I live in Peterborough city though, so I might just fire a email off to them on the off-chance. Companies like these are hard to find locally - the jobs are more for support staff for employers rather than IT solutions companies.

Cheers dude.

Do you want to PM me your email address? I can send you over a few details of you like? you never know, If I could work for Complete-it again I would, the reason i'm getting made redundant is because I work in the technical Support centre, we have over 300 clients across Swindon, Peterborough, Nottingham, Oxford, Bourne End and London. I supported 85 clients accross London and Bourne End in the TSC as a 1st Line Remote Support Technician for the last 2 years and they have handed out Redundancy's to a fair few people here because they want to break the TSC up into 3 TSC's which means our's has to get smaller.

In my experience certs are so you can get your foot in the door. The reason why every position requires them is simply to thin down the amount of resumes. I had a friend who could do the work and explain everything to you however he just freaked out on the exams, it took him several times to pass some of them.

Back