Yahoo discontinues Classic Mail, implements e-mail scanning

By Shawn Knight
Jun 3, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. As promised, Yahoo on Monday discontinued their Classic Mail service and is requiring that all users upgrade to the new version in order to continue to use the service. Yahoo revealed that Classic Mail was being discontinued back in April...

Read more
  2. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,487   +73

Too bad Yahoo starting doing this. Since 1995 I've been with them and have seen a lot of changes. I guess to generate more revenue, let's scan all private emails to see what could be access for it. Gmail you said is do this also, that's not good for me either.
  3. roxxas2

roxxas2 Newcomer, in training Posts: 64   +20

Want to play that Yahoo? Alright, Outlook it is!
    psycros likes this.
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,018   +220

Tip: DON'T use the browser interface - - use the email client software (aka Thunderbird) and you don't have to accept the the T.o.S. :)
  5. psycros

psycros TechSpot Booster Posts: 616   +185

I'd say there's every chance that Microsoft is also scanning to some degree but their smart enough not to tell anyone. That, or simply lie about it - that's usually how they operate. This is why I've paid $20/yr for a private email service for over a decade - I knew they'd all start doing this eventually. If Yahoo was smart they'd charge $15/yr for ad-free, no-spying email with an enhanced web client (more filtering, sorting, etc). Instead they'll drive users away even faster.
  6. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TechSpot Booster Posts: 654   +34

I still use aol as my primary haha
  7. treetops

treetops TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,570   +41

It's insane how much protection we get with paper mail but next to nothing when it comes to emails. If your local post office read your mail to determine what advertisement to mail you they would be in hot water. Emails should be treated the same.
    learninmypc likes this.
  8. When will you mooches get it... FREE is paid for using other methods... If you don't want the intrusion, don't use a free service. Quit crying, spend $5/mo on hosted email and get over it.
  9. learninmypc

learninmypc TechSpot Guru Posts: 4,554   +184

I'm thinking its browser specific since it hasn't happened in my SeaMonkey browser but it has been on Firefox.
    I think these email people are trying to be their version of facebook.
  10. Yahoo email is the mail that comes with my paid sbcglobal.net internet service. I expect part of my $60/month goes for the email services, and I don't expect somebody to be scanning my email and sharing my "metadata" and who knows what else to the government.
  11. learninmypc

learninmypc TechSpot Guru Posts: 4,554   +184

I use yahoo,gmail & hotmail & see no ads. :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.