TechSpot

Yahoo! is latest company to ignore IE10's Do-Not-Track setting

By Rick
Oct 29, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft's decision to enable Do Not Track in IE10 by default is still managing to elicit industry criticism. Yahoo is the latest company to ignore IE10's on-by-default DNT policy, joining Apache in not recognizing the browser's DNT setting. Yahoo reasons that...

Read more

2. Firefox + Noscript + Adblock = Suck it Yahoo!

3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,116   +1,523

This is what I want.
    I don't want to be tracked.
    I don't want to allow cookies.
    I do want to allow forum logins to be remembered.
    The only way I know of allowing browsers to remember forum logins is to allow cookies.
    Unfortunately this also allows tracking capabilities, which should be an opt-in not an opt-out options.

4. veLa

veLa TS Booster Posts: 518   +86

Of course what Yahoo criticizes users are thrilled about.

5. GACrabill

GACrabill TS Rookie Posts: 47

Guess I won't be going to Yahoo News daily from now on.

Anti-consumer thinking results in a downward business spiral.

6. hammer2085

hammer2085 TS Rookie Posts: 18

Just use default setting for cookies to "DENY" and then allow few custom sites you want cookies to be allowed for. See Firefox -> Options -> Privacy -> "Exception".

see the image -> http://minus.com/lrNjMN3DOnuQU

This can also be done in Chrome I think! I've been using this setup for more than a year now,

cliffordcooley likes this.
  7. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

Nah. Put your default as allow for sessions and then change as a per case basis. This will ensure that you do not get issues with webpages that want you to have cookies in order to operate.

:)...

8. cliffordcooley

A Website shouldn't need cookies to operate.

9. lipe123

lipe123 TS Guru Posts: 449   +81

" Unfortunately, because discussions have not yet resulted in a final standard for how to implement DNT, the current DNT signal can easily be abused."

Lmao am I the only one finding it funny that privacy equals abuse nowdays? Yahoo I'm sorry but its hard to take a company serious that Insists that the default should be spamming users with any kind of ad -targeted or not.

10. Wizz-Fizz

Wizz-Fizz TS Rookie Posts: 35   +11

I'm curious

When did offering a service suddenly become a right to track your personal data?

I'm tired of all these companies taking my data, selling it, losing it and whatever else(ing) it.

I don't watch commercial TV because there are more commercials than TV
    I don't go to the movies early anymore because there are 50 ads and maybe 1 or 2 trailers now
    I DO read books the old fashioned way because if I was to buy (BUY) an eReader I have to put up with ads (I'm lookin at you Amazon/Kindle)

I'll be dammed if these people are going to push me off the web too!

Bring on the DNT and make it as watertight as you can is my vote!

11. avoidz

avoidz TS Maniac Posts: 454   +54

What about using Ghostery?

12. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

Well: someone is naïve!

If you are not paying for a product or service than it is you that is being sold...

13. cliffordcooley

I think I will call this phenomenon, "Digital Slavery". I wonder what it would cost in service fees, once you made the round with everyone who wants to sell your data. Honestly lets get real here, does anyone have enough money to prevent being sold?

14. Coodu

Coodu TS Enthusiast Posts: 179

Perfectly put, sums up my thoughts/behaviour exactly.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.