TechSpot

Yahoo permanently shuts down Geocities

By Justin
Oct 26, 2009
  1. A few months ago it was revealed that Yahoo had sealed the fate of GeoCities, one of the pioneers of the emerging Internet years ago. Fifteen years of service came to a halt when Yahoo told everyone still using the service that it would be shutting down, encouraging them to move on to something better. Now, true to their word, Yahoo has finally pulled the plug on the free web-hosting service. Where the Geocities homepage once stood, Yahoo has substitute a placeholder that confirms today as the final day for service.

Read the whole story

2. DarkCobra

DarkCobra TS Rookie Posts: 79

All things end. Yes, I too fondly recall my first experiences with simple web site building and using a Geocities site. It was very rudimentary but it got ya there. The notice of the closure indeed started quite some time ago but that day has finally arrived. Waving goodbye to an old and trusted friend. You served many of us well in those early Internet days . . . thanks!

3. tengeta

tengeta TS Enthusiast Posts: 632

Ah, the age of everyone having a useless (but definitely fun) webpage is coming to an end... if you don't count a myspace/facebook profile lol.

4. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,594   +352

There are still a thousand different blog making tools which can actually ease the building process, but it's definitely not the same as hosting your own files in a somewhat tangible web server and adding a million different animated gifs in a single html page (well maybe myspace users still get that).

For those of you who haven't been around for long enough, believe it or not, but a very early version of TechSpot was initiated in a FortuneCity free site with an URL that occupied the whole browser's address bar width. That's what you got for $0 back in the day.

5. JNygren

JNygren TS Rookie

WHAT?!! You mean my adoring fans can no longer gaze upon my beautiful Geocities home page? Why didn't somebody warn me??!!! Watamagonado, watamagonado!!!

;-)

6. fref

fref TS Enthusiast Posts: 153

The electronic version of my college yearbook was on Geocities, with the URL printed in the paper version so people could make updates if they wished. I guess that will no longer be an option... Too bad, it was nice to see where old friends were today.

7. limpangel

limpangel TS Member Posts: 65

The first website I created was with Geocities site builder more than eight years ago on my university library computers.
    I just loved the Badtz-Maru theme, used it on my 360 page also ... until that was closed too :(

8. srdotnet

srdotnet TS Rookie

Honestly, does anyone *really* care about this?

No better depiction of the "If a tree falls in the forest and no one heard it fall..."

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.