TechSpot

Yahoo to investigate claims CEO Scott Thompson lied about his Computer Science degree

By Leeky
May 4, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. In a bizarre turn of events, Yahoo's board of directors announced yesterday their intention to investigate allegations that current CEO Scott Thompson intentionally misled the company over his educational achievements,...

Read the whole story
  2. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

This doesnt really surprise me tbh. Sometimes it could just be "Resume Padding". I mean this guy has to be getting paid in the 7 figure area. If it wasnt padding then Yahoo themselves may have added on the computer sciences part to legitimize him as a CEO. Even in business it is all about image.
  3. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 4,378   +98

@Tygerstrike,

I think you missed the last two paragraphs. He wasn't even correcting the fact his degree was in accounting and computer science back when he was at the helm of PayPal -- as the final two paragraphs also highlight.

That said, the only person that really knows the full story is the man himself. For the sake of padding, its a rather big statement to make though, especially since a degree in accounting is highly regarded and worthwhile in his position anyway.
  4. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

Exactly why I think it is resume padding. Or since I havent seen the interview in question, he may not have heard the interviewer correctly. But I highly doubt it. Or it could just be as simple as he didnt want to correct the interviewer and didnt put out any form of corrective statment.
    I would think a computer science degree tho would be something I would want to make sure was correct. Most businesses can and will fire you for fudging any information on your application or resume.
  5. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 4,378   +98

The interview is here. If I recall, its around the 26th minute, or thereabouts. In my opinion he heard it very clearly, and then continued on with the discussion even making references to it being incorrect.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.