Yellow explanation mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Guy

Hi All

I need to install a seperate video card to run my sons game.
I put in the card but when I go into device manager it shows as having a yellow explanation mark and cannot be used.

I am using XP
Award Bios

THanks

Dave

Did you install the drivers for this Video card or just plug it in and hoped that it would work?

Hoped for the best

Plugged it in and hoped for the best!!

I did try a different video board that that produced the same systems. Any futher help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the reply

Dave

You need to install the video drivers for the card. Then it should work.

If you tell us what video card it is. We should be able to find the drivers for you.

Regards Howard :)

S3 ViRGE/DX

S3 ViRGE/DX
FVGAP-S34.2E written on the board I have in my hand that I can put in.

By the way I am using XP pro

I need it to run "Pirates of the Caribbean" for my son it says it only needs 32mb DirectX9 Compatible Graphics Card.

Will this game run with this card??

Thanks for your help

Dave

Thanks

Hi Howard

Thanks for all your help after downloading and updating my computer it said that the driver update was no newer than the one on my computer, and still left the explanation mark there!!!!

I was going to try to disable the motherboard video but thought if I did that there will be no screen to work from!!

I may buy a new video card with the drivers and try that before my son loses all confidence in his Dads computer skills.

Thanks for the assistance again

Dave

S3 ViRGE/DX you've got to be kidding me! This PCI card is years old and only has 2MB (upgradeable to 4MB! wohoo) of video memory. You'll be lucky to get any modern game to run on this. I would suggest getting a PCI FX5200 or FX5700 (unless you have a spare AGP port?) but I suspect the rest of your system might prove a bottleneck if the video card you're trying is anything to go by. The correct process is uninstall your current video drivers, switch off machine, install new card (after making sure you were grounded to prevent static), start up and enter BIOS to disable the onboard card then let the machine boot into Windows and install the drivers. Of course you'll have to plug the VGA monitor lead into the new card output (yes I've seen people fail to do this and wonder why their screen doesn't display anything). If you can give us an idea of the CPU and rest of the system specs to help any further queries.

thanks

Hi Paulla

Thanks for the advice, I have a Celeron 2.4 ghz and 224 mb Ram, on-board graphics sometimes when I play games the sound breaks up is this because I need a video card?? and the motherboard cant cope with the info needed to run the game. I run on a low budget so only need a low spec/low price card I am only trying to run "Pirates of the Caribbean" that says it only needs 32mb directx 9.0 compatible graphics card. Maybe I could get one from ebay??

Thanks

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back