Yet another BSOD problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Folks,

I'm currently getting recurrent BSOD problems. My PC boots up normally but after approximately ten minutes, the infamous BSOD appears with the following information:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical Information: STOP: 0x000000D1
(0x00000000, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

When I looked at the Event Viewer having booted up in Safe Mode, a System Error is recorded along with Cat (102) Event 1003 Error Code 100000d1 parameter 1 00000000, parameter 2 000000ff, parameter 3 00000000, parameter 4 00000000. I have attached the minidump file below.

In Safe Mode, I have carried out a malware scan and the computer is clean. Also in Safe Mode, I have carried out a System Restore to the last restore point and I have done a disk check, which said that the volume was clean. The BSOD problem still remains.

I have also run MemTest86+ and got no errors after 3 passes.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing these BSODs and what I can do to eliminate them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

JPC

That error, 0xD1, is primarily caused by faulty drivers. In your case the driver cited is kl1.sys which belongs to Kaspersky. See if updating corrects the issue.

Route44,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I'm unable to carry out an update as I'm already running the latest version of Kaspersky Internet Security (v 8.0.0.506). I also run Secunia PSI, which very recently indicated that I had new programs installed on my PC. I thought the installation of these programs might have occurred at the same time that my Google Earth had automatically updated. Among these programs is etrust PestPatrol ActiveX Control. I'm unhappy about seeing any other malware detection software other than Kaspersky. So, I did a System Restore to the last System Checkpoint in the hope that PestPatrol would disappear; it didn't. What is odd is that if I go into Windows>Downloaded Program Files, the PestPatrol ActiveX Control is not listed. Nor is it listed in Add/Remove Programs. It would therefore appear that, if I am to get rid of PestPatrol ActiveX, I need to possibly do a System Restore to an earlier restore point and hope that gets rid of it.

What I don't understand, though, is why my PC gets the BSODs before I've started Internet Explorer. I say this because, if the BSODs are the result of a conflict between Kaspersky and PestPatrol, then surely PestPatrol is only running when IE is running. Perhaps, the PestPatrol ActiveX is not the culprit. I guess it's possible for kl1.sys to be corrupted - is there any way that I could check that? Maybe I could do an MD5# checksum?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

JPC

Hmmm, good diagnostic questions! I would say that even if ePestPatrol only pops up during the initialization of IE it is, neverthelesss, in the background and thus conflicts with Kaspersky because first and foremost Kaspersky's main task is internet security and infection prevention while surfing, etc.

Try the following:

1. Download and install the latest CCleaner version. Let it do the scan and clean. Then go to their Tool option and see if anything is listed that has to do with ePestPatrol. Uninstall if so and then do another scan and delete.

2. Go to MajorGeeks.com and download and install the free and excellent RegCleaner. Now anytime the Registry is worked in one mus be VERY careful as to what one does. Under the Uninstall Menu search for all things pertainining ONLY to ePestControl and delete.

3. If neither of these work I strongly suggest searching on CA's website because my research has just shown me that EPestPatrol was bought out by CA and CA should have a removal tool. Try that.

4. Lastly, go the Virus and Malware removal forums and read and follow the 8 Steps sticky.

Route44,

Thanks for coming back to me so quickly. Just want to clarify a point. I already have the latest version of CCleaner installed. When you say "Let it do the scan...", are you referring to a Windows scan (as opposed to an Applications scan) and should I check all the boxes?

Thanks for your continuing support.

JPC

When I scan with CCleaner I let all the options run: Internet Explorer (all checked but Autocomplete History), Windows Explorer (all checked), System (all checked), and Advanced (only Old Prefetch Data is checked).

Don't forget to check the Tool option and see if there is anything from CA/ePest Patrol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back