TechSpot

Yet another startup issue

By hppa
Jun 10, 2010
  1. Hey, all.

First time I'm making a topic here, so be nice! The problem I'm having is starting the machine. It's a pretty stable computer and was running just fine till yesterday when it stopped responding to the power-on button. I opened it up to check for loose cords but found none. Next I figured there might be a problem with the power-on button itself - so I tried starting it up via the motherboard (connecting the pins manually), but nothing happened.

So I'm wondering, is the problem in the PSU? Every time I eighter press the startup button alternatively connect the motherboard startup pins, the processor fan spins for about half a second the stops. Somewhat leads me to believe the PSU is letting through some power to make the fan spin, which would indicate there's a problem with something else, but I don't know.

Would appriciate any help, feel free to ask if I've forgotten to include something.

~hppa

2. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,288   +7

Best to try a different PSU or try this PSU in another machine to see if it's working.

3. hppa

hppa TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks, Ritwik, I'll try that. :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.