(Yet another...) web hosting question.

Spike

Has anybody had the good fortune find a free web host that will allow active contend (in particular, a swf file and a SFX archive for download), that's advert free for the first few days?

Basically, I want to upload my little site somewhere to check that it works, and to get approval, before paying for proper hosting.

Also, a free top level domain (such as .org.uk, .co.uk, .net, or similar) would also be very cool.

It doesn't have to be brilliant, as it's only temporary. (can you tell I don't do this often? lol)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thankyou very muck Realblackstuff.

The website is for the promotion of a book that a friend is getting published. At that price for a .info name, I suppose you can't really go wrong.

I am hoping for a reasonably cheap domain name though along more common lines, purely because they are easier to remember and look better, etc.

I thought that it might detract from the fact that after pressing f11, IE users at 800x600 still find the viewable screen filled by the flash movie. lol. I guess I should have used a resolution detection script and a smaler flash movie for those, but I guess I can do that another time..

Basically, I'm trying to cheat in the long run by making it look more professional than it is. It is my first real attempt after all. lol

Many thanks though, I think I may just buy one of those anyway!

RBS, thankyou!!!

I went to 395hosting, but after I looked at their support pages, I went with their sister company, www.be-hosted.com

Their basic plan seems to carry a massive amount of bandwidth for the price! That's 500MB of space, and 25000MB (25GB!!) of bandwidth. For 6 months it was something like $5.95 a month, dropping to $3.50 for 2 years. A .com domain was $12.50.

All told, a full 6 months personal package with a domain was about £30. not that bad really. Unlimited email addresses, php, 1 MySQL database, all manner of stats tracking, etc, etc.

I'm very pleased.

Back