Yet another WoW graphics help wanted thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insanasomniac

Hey guys.
To help out a bit, lemme copy-paste a part of my dxdiag, that way you get good details on my computer specs.
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 11/28/2008, 13:27:51
Machine name: *********
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_gdr.080917-1612)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Model: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/13/05 11:26:44 Ver: 08.00.10
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Page File: 2227MB used, 2081MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6000.16386 32bit Unicode
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 8800 GTS
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0193&SUBSYS_040F19F1&REV_A2
Display Memory: 1055 MB
Dedicated Memory: 288 MB
Shared Memory: 767 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: SyncMaster 2032BW,SyncMaster Magic CX2032GW(Digital)

Okay, now my problem is, even with the lowest possible graphic settings in WoW, I get about 12-15 fps in non-combat and 3-5 fps in combat in 25-man raids. Now I'm a raider, so you can see where this becomes a problem. My dps has terribly suffered from this as my fps is so slow I cannot keep up with my casting bar (I'm a caster dps).

Outside of raids, with the best graphical settings, wether I'm soloing stuff or in 5-mans, my fps averages 30 fps but I often see 50.

I cannot go back to XP. To make the story short, I used to have XP, but when I upgraded to SP3, my computer got stuck in an endless reboot. It took everything to be able to format the drive, and even had to buy a new HDD. Even with a brand new HDD, XP refuses to install and I keep getting a BSOD. So, my last resort was installing Vista 32.

I'm really getting desperate on how to improve my graphic performance, and yes my drivers are up-to-date, and I check them often. Nothing else is running in the background except Ventrilo (heck, I don't even run MSN while raiding). I do play in Windows mode, but even in full-screen, it did not help. And don't tell me to disable my raiding addons, because well, that kills my point.

Would perhaps upgrading to 4 gigs of RAM do anything or am I being a bottleneck graphic victim? Any suggestions would help.

Thanks. and sorry for the long post.

Please someone help me -_-

Windows Vista does not like WoW in windowed mode. It gets much reduced FPS when running in windowed mode, but I still used to get 50+ all the time with my 8800GTS. So just for purposes of trial-and-error, try running in fullscreen mode. Not windowed-fullscreen mode, I mean full, serious, real man's full screen. The one where you can't move the mouse freely to your 2nd screen. See if that improves performance. Vista can be hopelessly picky when running in windowed mode in WoW, especially 32-bit Vista.

60 FPS in raids is possible without disabling raiding addons, they are not the cause of such crippling lag. I know, I run with over 200 of them. 4GB of RAM would be a nice upgrade, but it wouldn't fix this particular problem.

Another thing to try is updating to the latest 181.20 Nvidia forceware.

Turn off hardware PhysX acceleration in the Nvidia control panel as well.

Yes, drivers are up-to-date :)

As for the PSU I do not remember the name, and I kinda lost the box when I moved, but I am sure it's not the PSU. It's not even a year old, and I made sure I bought the most powerful one.

Someone suggested that this might be my problem:
Display Memory: 1055 MB
Dedicated Memory: 288 MB
Shared Memory: 767 MB

Seems my video card borrows RAM from my computer. In which case he says more RAM would probably help. What do you think?

Your video card is not sharing system memory.

Display Memory: 2289 MB
Dedicated Memory: 497 MB
Shared Memory: 1791 MB

That's what my DxDiag says, and I assure you, my video cards are NOT sharing 1791 MB.

I believe that number is merely the window into the system memory should the video card absolutely need it to maintain system stability, rather like the AGP aperture of old. That wouldn't be affecting performance so drastically. Try what I said about real man's full screen. See what that does.

As for the PSU I do not remember the name, and I kinda lost the box when I moved, but I am sure it's not the PSU. It's not even a year old, and I made sure I bought the most powerful one.

wat he ment was wat the wattage is on the psu not if its new or not lol

windowed mode in most games suck the fps "usually" drops with any game

also if u have programs like Iinstant messageing programs esspecially downloading clients turn them off when playing it

it could also be that the bandwith is being sucked up by those programs

Internet lag in WoW doesn't translate to low FPS though, so it can't be a bandwidth problem. Lack of bandwidth translates to other characters walking in place and jumping around.

So would RAM help or is that not even affected by my FPS of my video card?

And I do not have anything running besides WoW and Ventrilo.

Is it possible to manage how much power goes to the video card without burning it?

Even at fullscreen, (not windows maxed), I get the same amount of FPS. It does no change :(

no if u have 2 gb of ram u could be just fine

the nvidia 8800 is good

have u tryed to lower the graphics at all to see if it does better

also id like to know the wattage of your power supply

also on how how big your hard drive is

also are u running any overclocking programming on the windows UI

no if u have 2 gb of ram u could be just fine

the nvidia 8800 is good

have u tryed to lower the graphics at all to see if it does better

also id like to know the wattage of your power supply

also on how how big your hard drive is

also are u running any overclocking programming on the windows UI

Yes, Wow graphics settings are at the minimum right now.
hard drive is 500gb /2 partitions, and they are virtually empty (90% space remaining on both approx - maybe less on C but not by much)

No, I do not run overclocking programs.

And for other games, yes I run other games and they perform rather well with Max settings. I play for example Warhammer Online, and it seems to be running alot better, although I haven't been in raid environnements in that game. I also have Runes of Magic installed (it's an mmo similar to WoW), and that game is performing a bit better, but again, no raids. I have alo played TF2, and pretty much all of Orange Box no problem either. But these are different kind of games.

I was having the same problems, I have basically the same system, with somewhat of a better CPU. I upgraded the RAM (not saying it will fix your problem) and my problem was resolved.

I could barely go into Dalaran until I upgraded it, I get an even 30FPS in Dalaran on high, and my server is full. XD

So, if I had to put my money on anything it would be the RAM. I'm not 100% sure, but that is where my bet is.

EDIT: Don't forget, Vista is a RAM hog. Everything that XP required doubles with Vista... basically

Vista scales its RAM usage up based on the amount of RAM that is available to a much greater extent than XP, because it preloads programs that you use a lot into the memory so they launch faster. It DOES need more RAM to be happy, but it doesn't use twice as much RAM to run the same app. 2 GB should be fine, I raided all through BC content for months on 2 GB with Vista 64.

But try upgrading it anyway. You never know, it might do the trick, and 4 GB never hurt.

Alright.

Yes, in BC days, it was alot better, to be honest.
My server is full too, so yes, Dalaran can be a hassle :p
I was told that with Vista 32 bit, my OS wouldn't detect more than about 3.25 if I added 4. Is that true?

I think I will go with the RAM solution and update you guys on this.

Thanks for your input guys.

A few more questions relating though. How do I check the wattage or whatever that my video card is getting or my PSU?

Yes, Vista 32 will only show 3.25 GB of RAM.

You check the wattage and amperage of the power supply by opening the case and looking on the power supply sticker. The most important stats in this case are the brand, wattage, and amperage on the +12v rail(s).

***** UPDATE *****

Ok guys, I have added more RAM and am at a total to 4 gb now. Did some raids today and FPS was around 25 fps during combat. So RAM did fix my issue.

Thanks all for your input!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back